love Poodles but...

Kitty_mom
on 9/10/08 5:10 am - New Maryland, Canada
After 18 years, my darling toy poodle died in May. I am not sure if I am ready for another dog yet, but I thought I might start doing some research into other breeds.  I love the poodle's personality, but I am tired of so much grooming and clipping.  Yesterday i went to Pets Unlimited and looked at a couple of dogs. I looked at 2 maltese, a dachsun (excuse my attempt to spell these breed names), and bejon frisse X Havanesse. They were cute but I was still looked longingly at the groomer's poodle. Can you recommend some small breeds that have quiet, loving personalities like a poodle? I have heard that the havanesse are very loving companion dogs.
Tami Jean A.
on 12/24/08 10:50 pm - Schenectady, NY
I know this is an old post and you may have a dog already( sorry about your poodle). I am a groomer/trainer and have a pet boutique. I have a white Standard, Joey. I know what you mean abut all the grooming. If I didn;t have a pet salon I'd even think twice about another poodle,lol. But a havanese is another dog in need of frequent(4-6 weeks) grooming to be kept healthy. The Bichon Frise is one of the 3 bichon  types, there is the Bichon Havanese, and BIchon Bolognese. All three are what are called continuous growth coats and need regular grooming. A much lower maintainece, absolutely adorable, very sweet and cute dog I would suggest is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, called cav's or CKC's. I would definately recommend any pet you consider you go to a professional breeder, never a pet store, back yard breeder or novice breeder, Breeding is not as easy as just letting two papered dogs mate. There are so many factors to make a good breeding and only a pro knows what to look for in their respective breed. Look for someone that only breeds one type, that has a contract and dosn;t just sell to anyone with the money.

Also, the Japanese Chin is a really cute little dog with a great disposition. They are also much lower maintainence. Best of luck!

Tami
332//303/175/132! 
highest/day of surgery/current/goal
WEARING SIZE 11 ! (haven't worn an 11 since I was 11)

Kitty_mom
on 12/25/08 11:15 am - New Maryland, Canada
For some reason, I am not fond of the King Charles.  I am not fond of the terrier or hound personality, but he Japanese Chin has peeked my interest.  I would never purchase a dog from a pet store or anyone that is not a licensed breeder. I wouldn't want to support a puppy mill either directly or indirectly.  Thanks for answering my post.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Looking for a home...
SapphireStar · 0 replies · 610 views
test thread
nikonshooter · 0 replies · 478 views
Horse people
Meginsf · 10 replies · 799 views
Ferrets!
shiftling · 1 replies · 442 views