Lap-Band or RNY?

katchikat
on 8/31/10 1:49 am - Methuen, MA

I know that it is a personal choice, but I would love to hear from you: Which WLS  you did and why you choose this surgery type. I am a newbie and have my first appointment on 09/22, sometime I want to do the RNY and other time I want to do the Lapband. I am sooooo confused! I research day and night ! but I am also exicited. Please help!!!!!!!! Thank you

Hislady
on 8/31/10 10:39 am - Vancouver, WA
You should probably post this on the RNY and lapband forums where you will get more feedback.
MsBatt
on 9/3/10 7:12 am, edited 9/3/10 7:14 am
Neither.

There are two other choices you should research as well---the Sleeve/VSG, and the Duodenal Switch/DS. Both leave you with a much smaller yet still fully-functional stomach, not a pouch with a stoma. The Sleeve is a restriction-only surgery like the Band, while the DS also has malabsorption, like the RNY (only permanent.)

Depending on how much weight you have to lose, either of these should be an excellent choice. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss AND resolution or prevention of co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. The DS also has the very most liberal post-op eating plan.

I chose the DS because it offered me the very best hope of losing and keeping off enough weight to be healthy and happy. I knew I'd always need to take NSAIDs (no-nos after either the RNY or the Band), and I didn't want dumping syndrome or any of the other problems associated with having a stoma.

At nearly seven years post-op, I'm effortlessly maintaining my lowest adult weight ever, and eating 2500-3000 tasty calories every day!

MARIA F.
on 9/13/10 6:07 pm - Athens, GA
RNY...........VSG...........DS............Anything but the Crap Band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aanmarie
on 9/19/10 8:50 am - NY
I have the band and I hate it.It never worked for me know matter how many times I got it filled.Things still get stuck and it hurts.I'm looking to do RNY or DS.Just a note everyone that had the band with me on the same day had no success with it.However some people do.I have a different doc now and he's great so I'm hoping for Dr.Brathwaite to do this surgery for me.If you have allot to lose I would do RNY or DS.
Candace Sparkles
on 10/25/10 12:18 pm

Between the two I would say RNY hands down. I have seen TOO many people get the lapband and have serious issues and never really lose any weight. RNY def has some drawbacks but not as severe as the lapband and the success rate is much higher. however if you are willing to step out of the box and think about other options I would highly recomend the DS. The DS has the highest success rate, and has the highest rate of loss over 10 years by a big percentage. with it you can eat normal, albeit small, meals. You can can eat sweets without problems, and if they are high in fat you don't even have to feel guilty for it. The drawbacks are it's a lesser performed procedure so a lot of times it's not written in under the insurance policy so it can be harder to get covered. Another drawback is it's a longer more complicated surgery and there a lot less quality expereinced surgeons so most people have to travel for surgery. That being said I am SOOOo happy that I was directed the way of the DS. Even if you aren't sure you might want to just peep in over at www.dsfacts.com It lists all DS surgeons and it will give you a lot of information on the surgery itself. or feel free to pop on over to the DS boards and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

Good luck to you whatever surgery you choose, I wish you all the best!!

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

m53 r
on 3/2/11 1:06 am
i only know to folks personally  who have done the band and both had zero success, though I'm sure there are success stories out there. I'm 10 years out and maintained 248 lost pounds. i had the open RNY.
aclay
on 6/1/11 12:58 am - MA
Hi it is so good your reseaching on these boards I did the same thing when I looked into it also.  I initially wanted the lab band then after going to some pre op support meetings and my regular pcp they said the success rate w/them has not been that great because people can slip alot of foods through them if they aren't consisitant in following up for fills.  Plus I was kind of worried of having a forgien object in my body.  But, on the other hand I was scared to death of stories I'd heard from others about gastic and the dumping syndrome I didn't want to taste something outside of my house and worry about being stuck in a random bathroom for hours.  I actually went through all my NUT, Endoscopy, pcp, phsyc and other testing not knowing what I wanted until 2 weeks prior to getting it done.  That day she put me on the 2 week pre op diet and I was scheduled for 5/03/11.  So I picked the gastric bypass and I'm 27 days out.  I had only very mild problems...some lactose intolerce at first, but since I figured out what it was I honestly can say it doesn't feel like I've had the surgery I'm feeling that good now. I'm 27 days out and can eat anything (just in much smalller versions).  As of right now I am happy w/my decision and would absolutly do it again.  Everyone's body is very different and adapts to surgery differently also.  So that is why I didn't want to worry about the problems associated w/some of the surgeries.....if you read some boards some people have many problems w/the surgerys and some none at all.  I hope this helps a little. 

NeedsSleep
on 11/16/11 12:45 pm - IL
VSG on 09/20/12
Did you ever make a decision? If so, what was it and why? I'm in the decision making stages myself so any input you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
m53 r
on 3/2/11 1:08 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 864 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8462 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9026 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10998 views