anyone with severe abdominal pain

pelztier86
on 7/10/11 6:49 am
hi,

reading several posts mentioning severe abdominal pain after RGB that seems to be unexplainable I was pretty shocked. Not that much because several people do have these issues but the docs dont know what do or at least what the problem is and simply denie it.
I have been going through this ordeal for a long time, thought with a totally different issue. (have no overweight and consider DS or GB as treatment of reflux).
But the culprit in my story was that I have a very rare intestinal diesease only very few docs are aware of.

So I am shocked that an actually pretty known problem after roux gastrojejunostomy which is a major component of the RGB weight loss surgery is obciously not recognized.
Abominal pain, nausea, vomiting, distension can be all part of the roux syndrome. just gogle it and you wil find numerous articles.
In this syndrome, gastric emptying and/or roux limb transit is disturbed/slowed.

hope ithis help someone.
Eliza55
on 7/20/11 2:45 am - PA
I am curious why you are considering DS or GB as a treatment for reflux.  Have you researched fundoplication surgery.  I know of several people who have had this very successfully, and it doesn't have the malabsorptive issues of DS or GB.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

rbb825
on 10/8/11 8:45 pm - Suffern, NY
I hope you didnt' already go through with any type of weight loss surgery.  Being you say you aren't overweight, I can't see any surgeon wanting to do a weight loss procedure on you for acid reflux - there are procedures just for that which are very successful - one of which I had back in 1998 called a Nissan Fundoplication.  It was totally successful at  reversing my horrific acid reflux.  If someone has a hiatal hernia it can also be repaired during this procedure - I didn't have one.

Please tell me you didn't have a weight loss surgery?  If a surgeon did one, they should lose their license = yes. it was given to me as an option back then but I was 100 pounds overweight.

loretta cowels
on 11/2/11 7:42 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
did you have the nission because i did and hital repair and now am looking at wls id you have wls after and what kind loretta
rbb825
on 11/2/11 12:43 pm - Suffern, NY
Yes, I had the Nissan fundoplication back in 1998 for severe acid reflux but no hiatal hernia - I just had severe spasms of my LES - the sphinxter that stopped the acid from coming up - it just came up all the time - the sphinxter just opened and closed whenever it felt like instead of just after eating causing unbearable reflux.  It came on real fast - very strange - I was diagnose with an ulcer, the ulcer healed and then the reflux started - backwards of anything they ever saw.  Within 6 weeks, I had lost 35 pounds because I couldn't keep any food down - I just vomitted mouthfuls of acid all day long - lost all my top teeth.   I was put on really strong acid suppressors, PPI's - nothing helped.  I was on Prilosec 4 times per day and something called Propulsid also.  Finally after 6 months, I had the surgery and I was reflux free.

Then in 2006, I started researching WLS and it was tough to find someone that would do it and was capable of doing it.  Lap band was out - not an option with the Nissan - I didn't want it anyway.   After about 1 1/2 years, I went to the surgeon that did my Nissan since he started doing gastric bypass about 6 years prior but do to insurance reasons, he was out.  So, I kept looking.  I then went to a 3 others but didnt' feel comfortable with any of them.  I felt that I needed someone with a ton of experience and someone that had experience with a prior Nissan.  I then found my current surgeon and he had the experience and was known for difficult cases.  So, I proceeded.  He did tell me that the Nissan might have to be reversed in order to make the pouch for the gastric bypass but that I should still be reflux free afterwards since most gastric bypass patients are and to make sure, I would just take my protonix for life as a precaution - I also have a history of ulcers, so taking   a PPI, would be a good idea anyway.  So, I am now 3 years out and no reflux, no ulcers.

During the gastric bypass, my esophagus tore during the take down but my surgeon was able to sew it back up easily through a scope.  I was on fluids and mushies for an extra 2 weeks but all went fine after that.

Just make sure you find a very experienced surgeon and make sure they have worked on someone with a Nissan before.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 864 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8461 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9025 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10998 views