I gained 40lbs in 2 months

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 5/6/12 5:51 am
Doc came back nothing wrong but not enough b12 or vit D. It is my diet and lack of exercise. I slipped into this comfortable wine drinking after work and ordering pizza  for dinner and now I am paying for it BIG time. So my surgeons book says 800 calorie diet and exercise,,,,,I am doing that now and logging my food. But I just wanted to let you know it was all me I was in denial. Now I have to fight to get back down to a resonanable size and I am miserable and completely depressed! But only eating 800 calories a day is miserable I am starving and feel like throwing up all day because I am so hungry.....the rny messed with my metabolsim doc said and this is the price I pay.

MzKeepinOn
on 5/8/12 6:02 am
what do you mean when you say that the RNY messed up your metabolism?  Did your pouch stretch too?  Im sorry you feel so crappy :(
Wannabhealthy barbie
on 5/9/12 3:57 am
The NUT said the RNY changes, slows down your metabolism. My pouch is still tiny, but I was eating frequently, badly.

Ruby_Trout
on 10/23/12 12:33 am - Canada
I was wondering how you ate making out?

Ruby Trout 

Nanci H.
on 6/2/13 11:53 am - Horsham, PA
Hey... I'm in the same boat! Kept 100lbs off for 5 years then unexpectedly got pregnant. Long story, but my son has some severe medical issues and had to have open-heart surgery at 2 days old. He was in and out of the hospital for the first 6mos of his life. Now 15mos, he's doing well, but the stress had taken its toll. I was up 45lbs. I went back to my surgeons office for a physician monitored diet. I've lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks, but I'm miserable. I'm eating less than 1200 cal/day and drinking so much water, I think I might drown!! My docs office said that unfortunately they are now realizing that the RNY bypass is not the best solution for long term because it did not take into consideration the impact of our bodies hormones. Many of us who are several years post op from RNY are now struggling to keep the weight off and only "eating like a bird" will work for our bodies which have now learned to live on MUCH less food than the average person. My appointment last week was the first time since my surgery 6 years ago that I regret my decision. I really hope there's more research that will help us because all I want is to be normal! Not obese... Not thin... I just don't want to feel like a complete failure! Anyone else out there feeling this way??
 Nanci  
Mary Catherine
on 12/1/13 12:30 pm

RNY does mess with metabolism.  For a few years, we don't eat much and then get to where we can eat more and also our bodies start absorbing calories again.  After about three years, it is extremely easy to regain weight and extremely difficult to lose what has been regained.

My strategy is to weigh myself every morning.  If you do a daily weigh in, you are less likely to get shocked with a 40 pound gain.  If you just eat and drink what you please and don't weigh yourself, then this is what happens so easily. 

An 800 calorie diet is what it takes for me to lose one pound a week.  Making sure that most of the 800 calories come from lean dense protein can help.  Avoid almost any carbs during this weight loss period.  Bread, rice, noodles, potatoes, pasta, and sugar will cause unbelievable hunger and cravings.

You are in a very difficult situation and doing what it takes to pull yourself back.  We do not get nearly enough education on this and it seems that many doctors and nutritionists just let us fail on our own.  I was told from day 1 that malabsorption would end and that regain would be difficult to lose.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 851 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8451 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9016 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10987 views