Help

Tboat
on 9/2/12 10:48 am
 I am on week three and struggling! I just don't know what to eat without it stopping right between my breast. Everything hurts going down. I'm at the purée stage and just feel lost. I have even had crying spells regretting this surgery and experiencing mild depression. I too AM experiencing true hunger pains which I have not heard anyone state they are. I simply don't feel like doing anything. Everytime I go walking my stomach swells and then burns. My surgeon doesn't seem overly concerned and tells me to simply slow down a bit. Does anyone have any advice and prayers are always welcomed!
SleeplessinAbitibi
on 9/3/12 7:50 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
 Which surgery did you get? You should post this in the appropriate forum..either VSG if you were sleeved or main forum.  There are plenty of people on there that will give you suggestions for food and for dealing with pain and mental anguish.  Please re-post there and you will get support.  I would love to help but I am pre-op.  No real experience to offer.  The one thing I read by EVERYONE is...are you drinking the right amount of water? If you don't you will feel sick!   Re-post!! and good luck...:)
Laureen S.
on 9/5/12 8:58 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hope you got the help you needed, but the first few weeks post-op are the hardest and many have "buyers' remorse" at that stage, so what you are feeling is pretty normal.  I, too, had hunger pains at around 3 to 4 weeks and I was able to get all my fluids and what not in pretty early, so I felt cheated, as no one I knew ever said anything about being hungry so early out, but we are all different and I was taught to make sure that I was not "head hungry" which is completely different.

I promise that in all likelihood as the results become evident of the newer and healthier you, you will not regret your decision.  I've known some with real complications that have said, they'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. . .  as I said, the early days are the hardest. . .

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Tracy D.
on 6/25/13 4:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi there - I'm only 5 weeks out and had some of the same issues as you.  Part of it came from trying to advance my diet too fast and eating too big of bites (as small as you think your bites are, cut them in half).   I also thought I was experiencing "hunger" and found out it was mostly the acid in my stomach.  Who knew?  I'd never experienced it before but evidently you can have silent heartburn (no burning in the chest) for years and not know it.  And it masks itself as "hunger", that growling kind of hunger.   I had to really back off hard proteins.  Antacids and Zantac have really helped me too; so has pushing my fluid uptake to 80 oz. per day (this includes shakes).  That said, if I go too long without a meal I can feel some hunger but nothing like I used to get. 

If your stomach swells and burns every time you go walking then slowing down is great advice. You might be swallowing a lot of air as you breathe and that will affect your tummy.   Still walk, just don't go as far or as fast.  And breath through your nose - I know it sounds silly but it helped me.

Everyone's recovery is a personal journey.  I will pray that yours gets easier! 

Tracy

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Nerak
on 1/2/14 11:53 am - Canada

One thing I found very helpful in following the pace set out for me in my wls clinics guidelines was that it was just that, a guideline. That is to say, if you don't feel ready for thicker foods, don't do it. Don't freak out if you aren't exactly where your guidelines say you might be right now. I have a lot of trouble with meat in general and eggs too. So I eat what I can - I seem to manage lentils and beans very well - also cheese and yogourt. Personally, I think the amount of protein is somewhat exaggerated but nevertheless I just do my best. As for walking, I remember at about 3 weeks out I would sometimes get a pain inside when I walked or a very sore back (lower addomen too). I just slowed down and took shorter walks until I could build up - you're still healing. These kinds of major lifestyle changes are not easy to make but they do force us to find other (preferably better ways to cope). Maybe this is a good time to get out and give yourself some time with friends or a special treat to congratulate yourself like a pedicure or manicure? I hope this helps a little. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 864 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8462 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9026 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 10998 views