Methotrexate

milk999
on 11/6/09 6:03 pm
 Was wondering if anyone here is on Methotrexate and are taking 8 or more of these tables a week. My doctor just increased mine to 8 tabs so that she can wean me off the Predinsone, I am afraid that my hair is going to fall out with this amount. It did when she bumped me up to 6 tabs and now that she is going to skip 7 tabs and go to 8 tabs I just know that the hair is going to come out. Is there anything I can take vitamin wise to stop the process? Any HELP would be appreciated.
50andready
on 11/7/09 12:29 pm - concord, mi
I was on 7 tabs for a year with no hair loss.  I now give myself a shot once a week of .08mg of methotrexate and have for 6 months with no hair loss.  I have rheumatoid arthritis and also give myself a shot of Embrel once a week.  My doctors think because of my disease, I am too high a risk for weight loss surgery!  I am investigating further...
MsPatooti
on 12/1/09 12:36 pm - Angleton, TX
Here is my experience with Psoriatic Arthritis, treated with Methotrexate, Remicade, steroids and Celebrex plus WLS.  I wanted to have Gastric bypass.  But several surgeons would not perform that surgery on me because of all of the medications I continue to take and suggested VSG - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  This will allow me to continue my medications as my diegstive system functions normally - no bypass of digestive system.  It is only smaller.

I had my Remicade treatment 2 weeks before my surgery and was taken off of the steroids and methotrexate for a time before and after the surgery.  But I am back on all of my required medications now and all is well.  Less weight is resulting in a lesser amount of medications I need to manage my Psoriatic Arthritis.

I have had good success with the VSG.  Please go forward do your research and talk to WLS surgeons about your options considering your RA and medicines you take and present the new information to your doctor.

I am revision from lap band to sleeve-Weight loss includes preop.
itz_mmci
on 11/10/09 6:21 am - TX
My rheumie just upped my dosage from 5 to 7 per week.  So far no hair loss.  At one time, prior to WLS, I was on max dose of 10 per week for a couple of years and had no hair loss.

tinkerjules70
on 11/30/09 11:08 am - Alta Loma, CA
I have RA also and I was up to 9 tablets a week before surgery and took 3 folic acids a day.  Dr says that it helps counter act the Metho.  I am sorry that your Dr. says no surgery, My Dr. couldnt wait for me to have WLS. I hope that things get better for you.
MsPatooti
on 12/1/09 12:24 pm - Angleton, TX
I have Psoriatic Arthritis and I did not have any serious hair loss with my MTX.

I am revision from lap band to sleeve-Weight loss includes preop.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 2:26 am
I have had R.A for over 5 years and my initial therapy was Methotrexate along w/ Celebrex. I had some hairloss but more thinning losing my luster and shine so the doctor was giving me also a folic acid. I think he said it would help w/ that. You can ask your doctor about that. I am currently on Humira 40mg every two weeks. I asked my doctor why he didnt give me this from the start and he said its very expensive and wasnt sure if my insurance would cover it. You can check into it if your interested. Ive not noticed any hair problems since being on Humira but that luster and shine that I had before Metho, is long gone. I still cant get it back even w/ the most expensive shampoos.

Hope my little info helps out.

Hugs, Sonya
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/09 6:41 am
I have RA and I started out on 6 methotrexate, 2 Plaquenil, and now I have added 4 of another that escapes me right this second.  I definitly lost hair and continue to do so with the methotrexate.  I got bumped up to .08 mg and now 1 mg injection weekly.  I didn't notice an increase when I bumped up each time just the same continual loss.  My hair is LOTS thinner than it used to be and I totally agree with the lack of luster and shine.  I had WLS on 11/02/09 and my Rheumatologist was really excited about it.  I didn't take a shot the week I had surgery but other than that no problems at all.  She just did the increase the Friday before my surgery to start the week after bc I still had a lot of pain.  An unexpected thing has happended.....not one day of pain AT ALL , ANYWHERE, not even that rogue one joint finger pain since.  And I even went a whole week without the shot and like I said she had increased it for after surgery bc I just was in so much pain.  It is amazing and if for no other reason my WLS was totally worth it.  I think your doc is one of those old fashioned docs that are against WLS for anyone for any reason.  BOO!!
prayinghard2day
on 12/10/09 9:10 pm, edited 12/10/09 9:11 pm

Hi I'm a newbie,
I have RA also and I was taking 6 Methotrexates and my hair thinned and lost it's luster for a minute but the Folic Acid really helped it.  Also I see the veterans of wls talk about biotin due to the hair loss from surgery.  Maybe try that?

I am really not a fan of Metho.  but I had stopped taking it for a while and my xrays showed damage to the joints in my feet.  Now my dr. dropped me down to 4 tablets and I get  Rituxan infusions every 4 months.  They really helped!!  The first time I was like a new puppy for about two weeks!!  The fatigue left, much less joint pain I actually felt like a regular person.  It only lasted a short time though. I've had the first half of my second treatment and I feel a slight improvement.  I think the cold weather makes a difference too. 

My rheumy told me that she would do whatever she can to help me with the wls.  She didn't know about the sleeve and when I took her my info. she agreed on the spot

kellyanne
on 1/5/10 3:05 am - Lumberton, NJ
I have been taking MTX for about 8 years.  Always by injection.  I initially had hair loss, but it stopped.  Its important to take the folic acid supplement.  I don't know if this prevents hair loss. I have Psoriatic arthritis. 

I understand why docs hesitate before giving people with this condition WLS.  The medications we take prevent inflammation.  You need inflammation to heal.  Also the medicine we take usually slows down immune function, so serious infections are possible.  I know,  I got MRSA and my surgical incision did not heal for over 7 months.

I lost over 200lbs from RNY and I have had many complications. Its important to know what the possible problems are, weigh them out before you have WLS.  The risks are much greater if you have this kind of ilness.  You need to discuss a plan of action with your rheumatogist and your surgeon before you take the risks.

The surgery got me out of a wheelchair and gave me a new life.  I would do it again.  But I don't think I was truly aware of the risk I was taking.  I can't stress enough how important it is to weigh the risk against serious complications.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 83 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2321 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4797 views