Rheumatoid Arthritis/Lupus and gastric bypass

murfy
on 3/17/10 11:34 am - Jacksonville, FL
i have RA and Lupus. i am currently on prednisone, orencia infusions, morphine, and coreg. i am getting open gastric bypass in a couple of weeks. i was wondering if anyone here has RA or other auto-immune diseases and got weight loss surgery. i am worried i will have a bad flare after surgery. i know now when i am in a lot of pain or stress, it causes a flare. i can't imagine what major surgery will do. i am nervous!

i am new to this forum. i have so many questions about my upcoming gastric bypass abd healing. i am 29 years old and 150 lbs overweight. i have gained 100 lbs in the past 2 years since i was finally diagnosed with RA and Lupus. the steroids and not being able to get around and exercise like i used to has contributed to this rapid weight gain. all of my doctors have wanted me to get weight loss surgery because they feel this is the only way i can have a better quality of life and hopefully increase my life span.

i am excited, but also very scared. has anyone here been in my shoes?
Murf

Sybil S.
on 3/18/10 10:39 am
Hi Murfy,
I'm a 36 yr old female who also has R.A. I can't tell you how you would feel after surgery but I can share an experience with you. I was scheduled to have the gastric bypass on Monday the 15. Due to complication I was not able to. After years of taking R.A. meds and the flexibility of my neck they were not able to open my air way during surgery. The anesthesiologist tried 3 different tubes before they decided to cancel my procedure.

In order for me to reschedule my surgery my doctor suggested that I have a treac put in my neck. Do you have stiffness in your neck? Have you had any surgeries in the past?

murfy
on 3/18/10 11:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
hey there. yes i have had surgery and colonoscopy and endoscopy and never had a problem with my airway.
Murf

happydsr
on 3/18/10 1:06 pm
amccu18007
on 3/22/10 4:22 am - Newark, DE
I too have RA and have decided to have the DS. I def. want the ability to take NSAIDS after surgery and with the RNY you can't. I am waiting for a date right now after switching to the DS. There are no FL surgeons right now but check www.DSfacts.com to find out about it and find a surgeon if interested. Most people travel to get their DS so that never is a problem with surgeons. Good luck with whatever you choose
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

murfy
on 3/22/10 4:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
yeah. i am developed an allergy to NSAIDs last year. it's really hard being red and inflammed all the time. i guess it does make the surgery decision easier though.
Murf

Kryshna84
on 7/27/17 8:55 am

Hi. I was pretty recently diagnosed with RA myself.. How long til you developed the allergy and how did you know? I take ibuprofen and acetametaphin a lot because the hospital here refuses to give me any pain meds for any of my chronic pain. I also have fibromyalgia and osteo arthritis as well as really severe degenerative disc disease. I just got a rx for methotrexate today so hoping that helps some.

amccu18007
on 3/22/10 6:43 am - Newark, DE
Ah, I am sorry. That stinks. Hopefully your rheum. doc and you can figure out a plan that works best for you with the surgery. Good luck to you!
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

dprtllz
on 3/24/10 1:22 pm - Tulsa, OK
You do realize, don't you, that once you have GB, you cannot take Prednisone again? I too have been on prednisone a lot, so I do understand where you're coming from. Since you've developed an allergy to NSAIDs, those won't be a problem to you! I personally HATE Prednisone, and don't mind at all not taking it again, but sometimes you really NEED it. I would just have a really frank conversation with your rheumatologist/immunologist and see what else is available during flare ups.

I am wanting to have GB also. I even got an insurance approval a year ago, but I backed out because my arthritis is so bad and I was afraid of what would happen if I couldn't take Prednisone and NSAIDs. My doctor tells me there are many other forms of treatment, and Lord knows, getting the excess weight of our poor, miserable joints could be quite a good treatment in and of itself!

Good luck to you!
murfy
on 3/24/10 2:42 pm - Jacksonville, FL
not taking prednisone isn't an option for me. i have been on it so long, that if i stopped, i could go into shock from low blood pressure and adrenal insuffiency. none of my doctors have ever mentioned anything about stopping prednisone after surgery. i know you can't take non steroidal anti-inflammatories, but prednisone is a steroid. it's a completely different family of drugs. i will even be given IV equivalents to prednisone while in the hospital before and after surgery.

i have been tried 6 different arthritis and lupus treatments and nothing has even come close to helping. i am now on orencia infusions. hopefully i will know in a few months if it is working or not.
Murf

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 92 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2330 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3537 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4803 views