NSAID Alternatives???

MsBatt
on 9/13/10 1:56 am
I've had everything you mention, except surgery---and since I'm only 52, they're telling me I really should hold off on the knee replacements as long as possible. (I've already held off seven years longer than I'd have thought possible, pre-op.)

Tramadol doesn't really seem to help much, either, strangely. I don't tolerate it well---enough to kill the pain makes me foolish in the head. (*grin*) Cortisone doesn't help for long, either, but I have had good experience with hyaluronic acid---it's what's allowed me---well, that an losing weight---to keep my knees this long.

I've been taking daily NSAIDs for, oh, 30 year now. Tylenol won't even help me with a headache.
battlyn
on 11/22/10 3:22 pm - NY
My first dose of tramadol was two times a day and it was a total of too much then the Doc gave me a total dose that was less than the two but more than the single dose but once a day (I take it at bed time) It works well and I can stay awake !
I had synvic injections in both my knees a few months ago as they started to bother a year ago, I think they helped me , my Rheumatoligist said I was a good canadate because my knees weren't extreemly bad.  I am hoping to put off surgery as long as possible.  I am noticing less noise coming from my knees ? (ya know the poping ect).
Good Luck,
Lyn Batt
Dr.AMHutch1
on 11/10/10 3:12 am - GA
Detj, thanks for all the information on OA.  I also have it in both knees and my left hip.  Right now I have only the 500 Tylenol, instead of the 650, but I am going to get the 650 to see if that works.  You mentioned Tramadol, can I take that with RNY?  My groin hurts most than my hip, so I just want to get some immediate relief from that, I was taking meloxicam before surgery and the two weeks before, I had to stop and they pain was almost unbearable!  When I can home I has the pain meds and that realley helped, but if course I can't take that always...
Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for any help, I have only had RNY since 11/5 so I have not lost enough weight to make an immediate difference. 
detj
on 11/10/10 6:24 am - Silver Spring, MD
AM Hutch:  Tramadol is completely safe after RNY surgery.  It is prescription.  A way to approach it is to see your doctor, let them know you are not allowed to take any NSAIDS what so ever and you heard that tramadol may be a good alternative (the only  other prescription analgesics would be scheduled narcotics, so this would be a much better alternative.)

btw... groin pain can be possibly due to several possibilities (hernia and hip arthritis being at the top).  If you have OA of the hip, then the joint lies right underneath the groin and that is where it would hurt.

Don

1happywoman
on 11/22/10 5:02 am - New Zealand
I've been taking glucosamine and chondroitin for years now for problems with my left knee. It takes about 2 weeks to start helping. If it hadn't worked for my Rottweiler who blew out a knee and had surgery, I probably wouldn't have tried it. But jus****ching him, and seeing that he was moving more easily, thought I would give it a try.

I admit readily that I take up to 800 mg of ibuprofen at times to help with some OA pain and stiffness with no problems - and have never had a problem. (I'm a nurse and work in a small but busy hospital in New Zealand, so often spend a whole shift on my feet, and moving people around.) Sometimes I overdo it a bit - like digging around the property to put in the wire for an invisible fence. Ouch.

I had gastric bypass 8 years ago, and I'm 54 now, and I think this whole avoiding NSAIDs entirely is suspect. Never have seen any research that shows gastric bypass people to be at high risk for ulcers from using it - especially if used on an occasional basis.

Sue
MommyosaRose
on 11/22/10 7:00 am
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information and tips. I really love this site and all the support we get from people like us.

Thanks again!
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 92 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2331 views
Butrans patch