Having my knee replaced

jdruski
on 11/14/11 4:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could share with me their experience.  I am 56, I have lymphedema in my left leg so the right knee will be first and if that works without too many problems I will get my left.  I am still overweight having lost 200 lbs but still have over 100 to lose.  The surgeon feels that this is the only way that I will be able to get on with my journey.  Both of my knees are bone on bone.  I can't walk any further than 100 feet. 

Would anyone be willing to share their experience, mostly rehab.  The good the bad and the ugly is appreciated I want the whole story.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have been a part of the OH family for over 5 years and I know that this is where I can come to get help

Thanks.

Jeanne
50andready
on 12/29/11 1:09 am - concord, mi
I had my right knee replaced on October 1st 2010.  I weighed 240 at the time.  I won't kid you, its painful!!  The most important thing you can do for yourself is to do the exercises they give you.  When I first went into physical theraphy I could barely move.  The things they made me do hurt,  alot...BUT each time I went home and feeling like I was gonna die,,,the next day I felt a little better, and could do a little more.  I found that the more pain I went through in PT, the BETTER I felt the day after!  It's amazing!  PT really really works, and you feel stronger every day.  Once the pain of the initial surgery goes away, you will notice that your JOINT doesn't hurt anymore!!!  I think it was like week eight that I really started feeling like "wow, this is great," 

I cannot express enough how important it is to do the physical therapy.  I am over a year out, and yes, there is still some stiffness (i have rheumatoid arthritis along with sever osteoarthritis) but I do not have pain in that knee joint.  I am scheduled for my RNY surgery on Feb. 14th of this year, so I am hoping the weight loss will help when I have to have my other knee done.  Just remember, yes its painful,,big time,, but tolerable,, don't be afraid to ask for enough pain meds.  I would always take a pain pill before rehab,  they even suggested I do that.  It does get better,, and you will LOVE your new knee.  I hope this helps!  Good Luck!!
jdruski
on 12/29/11 11:09 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks so much for the information.  I fully plan on working very hard in PT.  I am going to do in-house rehab for two weeks and then outpatient 3X per week.  Both of my knees are bone on bone and I realized I started to gain back too much weight because of the vicious cycle I was in.  It was time after 15 years of pain to do something.  I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in.

I wish you much luck in your RNY.  I had mine in 06.  I had open.  I weighed over 500 lbs. and lost 200 in the first 3 months.  I then lost about 60 more and that is the weight that is creeping back.  I went through 2 plastic surgeries to remove excess skin so this is the only thing that is stopping me from continuing my journey.

Good luck again.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Happy New Year to you and thanks so much.

Jeanne
Brazilnut2
on 12/31/11 4:34 am - TN
Good luck with your knee replacement.

Almost two weeks ago, I had partial knee replacement--less intrusive and faster recovery. Yeah, it's painful, so be sure to take those pain meds as needed and don't try to "out-brave" the pain. I'm doing in-home PT and it's going really well.
thin1soon
on 1/8/12 12:04 pm
Help!  I need knee replacement, too, and am wondering how I can do this BIG SURGERY without Advil and/or Celebrex.  Did you take those?  I had the sleeve surgery 3 years ago, but my doc does NOT recomment NSAIDS after WLS.  What was your experience?

thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

anna R.
on 1/13/12 6:51 am
 I had my left knee replaced Jan 2009. It was horrible no doubt about it. Unfortunately the anesthesia caused heart palpatations and while dealing with that they forgot about my knee. I weighed 250 at the time with many other joints weak and degenerated. Also have fibromyalgia. I have been taking celebrex for years now and never stopped when I had my BPD in April 2010. The one thing I tell everyone that makes all the difference is this: Do NOT go straight home after the replacement surgery. I had it all planned out and had a room waiting for me at an in-patient rehab clinic. After being in the hospital for 4 days I then went to the clinic and was there for 4 weeks. And thank God because my knee had frozen due to staying in one place too long and it was a long haul getting it going again. 6 days a week, you get up, have breakfast, take a shower, get dressed and go off to PT. All that happens with Occupational Therapy help. PT lasts till lunch, back to your room, then they had me take a 2 hour nap. 3pm back to PT until dinner at 5. Then dinner, jammies and for me bed! Not much time for visitors, they keep you comfortable with whatever pain meds are needed, they keep an eye on infection, and you are sure to be eating healthy. Once I came home I had continued pt for 2 more months. I'm sure your thinking this broad is crazy but let me tell you. NO ONE can tell I have an artificial knee. No problems, pains, limps, crutches, canes or anything else. NONE. I have had 15 orthopedic surgeries and my next one is the shoulder. I wouldn't do it any other way, ever. Health insurance paid the whole thing.

Anna

jdruski
on 2/3/12 7:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
Anna,

You are so spot on.  I was in the hospital for 4 days (waiting for a bed at the rehab), spent 7 days in rehab and I am now home having in house rehab for about 2 weeks.  I will then get released from the surgeon and then start out patient.  I plan on going back to work at 7 weeks.  I am so sorry I didn't do this 10 years ago. 

Jeanne
Joyce J.
on 1/17/12 4:30 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I was told by a surgeon that it was ok to take NSAID's as long as you take an acid reducer for the stomach. I did this for a few years but this past Oct I had a very bad kidney infection and was hospitalized for 8 days. The internal medicine guy said no more NSAID's as the kidney does not filter them well

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

jdruski
on 2/3/12 7:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi

I absolutely recommend getting it done.  I had it done on January 16 and I can't believe how much relief I have in that knee.  I am still healing and the swelling causes discomfort but I can see my walk improve.

I have used Celebrex for over 3 years.  I had RNY in 2006.  I still take Nexium daily.

Jeanne
thin1soon
on 2/4/12 12:23 am
Would you please accept me as a Friend so I can private message you?  Or send me your email address, please?  Really wanting to talk to you more about your knee replacement.
thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 92 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2330 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3535 views