To have WLS or not to have WLS

sassysissy59
on 5/6/13 11:43 am - MD

Hi, this is my first time posting. I've been researching all aspects of the many different surgeries for weight lost and what is expected after surgery. And if a person is expected to keep in portion control, low fat, sugarfree, eat slow, exercise, exercise, and take vitimins, keep appointments, etc., then why have surgery?  If all this is done on a diet and all expectations are nearly the same, without the surgery you'd have the same results without all the pain and possible side effects of surgery. 

My choice is VSG, thinking the appitite harmone would be cut out along with the stomach portion and restriction aspect to force eating less was exciting me, then I found out the harmone regenerates and the sleeve can be stretched out even from the carbonation of soda put a damper on the idea of surgery.  Then using nsaids is not allowed, I have arthritis and been on nsaids for 15 yrs. I feel I'd be making one problem go away just to incure other problems.

And what would the future hold, I work as a CNA, caregiver, sometimes in a nursing home. If a resident had dementia and became a feeder, how would they cope if a caretaker had to feed him and the food menu wasn't friendly. There isn't alot of time to spend on one feeder since you may have 9 to 16 residents to look after.

Am I thinking too much?  How did you decide to use surgery for weight lost?

Cwuddy
on 5/11/13 11:06 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12
I had a very high BMI (57) and relied on Celebrex and/ or Arthrotec daily for the arthritis in my left knee...could barely walk...after 8 months and 122 lbs down I am feeling amazing and I've only had to take TWO Arthrotec since my surgery and that was b/c I overdid it on exercise nd my knee swelled.

Only you can answer the question as to whether the surgery is right for you....I have list probably a thousand pounds in my lifetime but could never keep it off or I couldn't keep it up long enough to get all the weight off mainly b/c I was literally starving all the time!

The sleeve as given me my life back and I will only look forward!! Good luck on whatever path you choose !

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

B. Smith
on 10/1/13 3:06 am
VSG on 12/04/13

Hello,

Did you have the sleeve because of your arthritis and the ability to handle more arthritic medication?  I'm worried if I have the RYN that I won't be able to take many meds and I have severe arthritis in my knee...

Thanks.

lisa2job
on 7/26/13 2:14 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12

I have Arthritis and Scraratic A.  so I take meds weekly for this to keep my joints from swelling .,  I choose the sleeve becuase of this reason and love it .  I have no problems or issues with it other than some reflux that I didnt have before and I take a pill in the am with my vitamins with it.    I couldnt do this on my own I yo yo dieted for many many years till I got up to my hieghest wieght of 338 .   I could always loose 50 lbs but hten gain back 60.  this limits the amount of food I can consume and I am not hungry that is another major point of this surgery.  I have to make sure to eat on a schedule because if I am working or busy I may skip a meal.   have surgery only when you are ready,  this is not a cure all and it takes lots of work and dedication.   I work out 3 x a week with a trainer and just added 3 x a week of zumba.    my wieght when stated 338   I have lost 117 lbs in 10 months and have about 57 to go !!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 95 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2332 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3539 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4804 views