Question about pain meds

cjd3161
on 10/17/13 2:59 am - TX

I have RA and I'm on pain medication to help me at night so that I can sleep.  However there are days like right now when the weather changes and I hurt so bad that I have to take the pain meds every 4-6 hours as prescribed.  I worried that when I have my procedure on Monday that my body will be so used to the pain meds that it will not help the pain from the surgery?  Can anyone relate?  Right now it hurts to just function on a daily basis, once I have my surgery I hope to get back on the Methotrexate.

Cathy

mkvand
on 10/17/13 6:28 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I haven't had WLS yet, but I have had 10 other surgeries, and I have osteoarthritis.  I've found that surgeries don't hurt that much more than my regular level of pain.  So, while the pain meds don't get rid of surgical pain, they do reduce it to a tolerable level.

cjd3161
on 10/18/13 1:11 am - TX

Thank you so much for your reply makes me feel a little more at ease.

BelieveInFaith
on 10/19/13 10:51 am - NJ
RNY on 08/08/13

I have ankylosing spondylitis and I've been on Humira, flexeral, etc. prior to my surgery.  I came off everything before the surgery and it wasn't easy on my body but I knew this surgery would help me tremendously with my pain.  The stuff they gave me while in the hospital and to take while I was home did wonders.  Right now I'm on nothing and just from dropping 50 lbs it's amazing how my joints feel.  I have days where it hurts more but overall I'm ok.  If the flare-ups get out of control I'll be back in to see the doc though.

I don't know if this helps but I can relate to it.

Never accept NO for an answer.

Julie M.
on 12/9/13 10:14 pm - Colorado Springs, CO

this discussion brings up a worry.  I have RA, fibro, carpel, and some osteo.  I take a SLEW of meds;  lyrica, cymbalta, mobic, xeljanz, oxycodone for extreme pain.  I'm meeting with dr. today to do fast track, so fast track that since I have the band, I think he's just gonna schedule me before end of the year.  With DS I can take my normal meds?  or do I have to gice up some of the best, most helpful ones?

Rosierivet
on 2/9/15 6:52 am

Hi Cathy,

I can relate to you. They need to do something...

Jill

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 92 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2331 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3537 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4803 views