Exercise where to start???

fiercebynature
on 9/16/16 1:02 pm

Hello, I am 2 weeks sleeved and have severe to moderate arthritis.

I also need a new hip which will happen in March.

Where do I start with exercise.

Walking is great but the hip does not really allow for that much.

Was thinking of some strength training maybe  once I'm approved.

Anybody, got any ideas.

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

One Bad Beach
on 9/20/16 9:34 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Small hand weights.  Look up some exercises online that you can do with 3-5lb hand weights.  Call your Rheumatologist.  They can suggest some sort of exercise that you can do now that won't compromise your hips, knees, feet, etc.  Once you get the new hip, and shed some more weight, you'll feel brand new and probably want to run a marathon!  Good luck!  

fiercebynature
on 9/20/16 6:43 pm

Great ideas !

Thanks

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

CJ On Orcas
on 10/12/16 10:07 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Swim!!!  I am only a month post-op, still waiting for one incision to heal up before I can swim but that helps so, so much.  I have not been able to walk with bad knees and a hip, so feel totally incapacitated.  Hopefully next week I will be cleared to start again.  I noticed that moving at all helps with arthritis.  Good luck to you on your journey.

theAntiChick
on 1/14/17 2:23 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

If you can't swim, get in a pool and just walk in the water.  It's amazing, I rehabbed a knee that way after reconstruction surgery.  Now I'm doing it in order to ramp back up into regular exercise with auto-immune arthritis.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

julioalmeda219
on 3/16/17 10:21 am, edited 4/18/17 4:45 am
On September 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Pacific Time, fiercebynature wrote:

Hello, I am 2 weeks sleeved and have severe to moderate arthritis.

I also need a new hip which will happen in March.

Where do I start with exercise.

Walking is great but the hip does not really allow for that much.

Was thinking of some strength training maybe once I'm approved.

Anybody, got any ideas.

I have physio - well, they give me my exercises to do, you dont seem to get hands-on treatment anymore, and I do yoga to stretch. However, I cannot exercise in a normal way like enjoying a walk, not even a gentle walk. The pain in my knee and lower leg is so bad and after even 20mins I am limping. I cannot walk up and down the stairs without support and the pain reflects up to my hip when I walk badly. I cannot put weight on my foot and having sat for any time, when I get up my leg has locked and it takes me a few minutes to steady my balance and start walking again.

Its ridiculous, I have never had such a dibilitating illness and it has made me very depressed. As I see it, having been told there is no cure for osteoarthritis, I can only see me living with this for the rest of my life. I am, what I consider, a young 60 and enjoy my holidays and exploring and walking, but now wonder how I can even walk for a mile!

Can anyone advise me if there is any medication - other than normal painkillers which dont even touch it, to be honest, that I could take? My doctor has not recommended medication as yet but I am thinking I should return and ask. I cannot go on like this without some help.

Support and advice from other sufferers please?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 83 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2321 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4797 views