Question: How many of you have had wls and had your arthritis improve?

Cherylynn
on 1/25/05 10:42 am - HARTLAND, MI
Hi Everyone I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and they say rheumatoid arthritis (elevated sed rate, high RF). I am in the process of trying to see a surgeon for RNY Lap. My concern is that I have to take motrin occassionally and I'm worried about my little pouch after surgery. Just curious if the surgery improved your conditions or they stayed the same or became worse. Thanks Cherylynn
mspisces
on 1/26/05 3:36 am - Somewhere, AL
My RA became worse after I had wls. But I am proud that I had wls and would not change a thing. I have flare ups every 10 days it seems. With a different part of my body affected. My surgeon told me I could never take any NSAIDS or prednisone again due to it prevents healing and breaks down skin tissue. I take methotrexate every week and humira every 2 weeks. I take tylenol arthritis everyday or so for pain and I do well with it for pain until a flare up starts and then I have to take darvocet. Your pouch will not be able to handle motrin after surgery. It has aspirin in it which causes ulcers. Irish
CuteDonna
on 1/26/05 8:17 pm - Effort, PA
I was scared to let go of my arthritis pills but I had no choice. I take Tylenol Extra Strength if my knee starts feeling a little sore. WLS improved my arthritis but until I get all my weight off I still feel some pain from time to time as I work retail and I'm on my feet ALL day. What you do is talk to your surgeon about your concerns and he/she will guide you. Donna
Sue O.
on 2/15/05 4:18 am - Brookfield, WI
My knees and ankles are already happier since I've had WLS, although I've only lost 30 lbs. My hips are still thinking about it, preferring to just ache a lot. I am working out daily and the hips and butt are getting a lot of attention that they aren't used to. I have osteoarthritis and I suspect fibromyalgia. The overall muscle aching seems better since I've been exercising daily. Pre-op I used to take 800 mg motrin three times per day. I had to stop it 2 weeks before surgery and was I miserable. Of course, nobody told me that I could have taken Tylenol. About a month after surgery, I asked if I could take it again since my knees and ankles were back to screaming at me. My surgeon told me it was OK for me to take it. I started out cutting the tablets in half, now I don't do that anymore. I don't take as much as I used to, usually only 600 mg once daily before my workout. My hips are sore enough that I could take it more often, but I'm doing OK without it. It all depends on what your surgeon says and your overall medical condition. Sue O.
Sandy_B
on 3/12/06 6:08 pm - Bakersville, NC
Cherylynn...I have fms and oa and polyarthritis and border ra/lupus. I am in worse shape now after loosing 205 lbs. My back and hip and shoulders and legs ache all over and the headaches oh my. I spend many days in bed just crying cause nothing eases me when I get that bad. I was put on zanaflex..it is for ms..my muscles are in knots in my shoulders and I have a bulging disc. Besides all of that I am dealing with rashes and sores. I have been turned down by 2 Dr.s because they don't want to deal with Medicares payment. So when you have surgery, the journey is very long and with discouragement. Just pray for the strength to conquer each day. Blessings on your journey, I hope and pray you are a lucky one and all of your co morbid's are non-existant.... Sandy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 82 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2320 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4796 views