fiercebynature’s Posts

fiercebynature
on 2/5/17 3:16 pm
Topic: RE: Total hip Replacement after being sleeved

Hi folks

I was sleeved September 2, 2016 and then on January 30th I had total hip replacement. I'm almost 7 days postop. I just wonder if anyone  has gone through this. I have none of the  symptoms  that they mention and it says you should call you Doctor etc but my operated leg is swollen above the knee and it is  bruised wildly above the knee. So not at the wound site, its not red or hot I have  no fever etc .

Anyone else experienced this?

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

fiercebynature
on 9/20/16 6:43 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise where to start???

Great ideas !

Thanks

fiercebynature
on 9/16/16 1:02 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise where to start???

Hello, I am 2 weeks sleeved and have severe to moderate arthritis.

I also need a new hip which will happen in March.

Where do I start with exercise.

Walking is great but the hip does not really allow for that much.

Was thinking of some strength training maybe  once I'm approved.

Anybody, got any ideas.

fiercebynature
on 8/10/16 9:36 pm
Topic: RE: has anyone experienced this?

Here is my story.  A year ago The Hip surgeon I had, changed his mind one week before the surgery and said he would not do it. My workplace put me off on disability because of my need for the hip replacement. My job is quite active working with parents and their children.  Before I left my manager said they had no problem at all with me adapting parts of how I do my job to accommodate my arthritis and replaced.

In the conversation when they put me on disability my manager and the director of my workplace said many nice things  i.e. what a great worker I was , that they wanted me to get healthy and they wanted me back that I was perfectly suited for my job. That they would hold my job for 5 years. Now I think their assumption was that I could be on works private disability for 5 years but in actuality I can only be on it for two years. I recorded it as I was very paranoid at the time, they don't know.

Once the hip surgeons ( multiple surgeons) heard I also wanted to have WLS they refused to do the hip before the WL. WLS will be September 2, 2016 . Hip will be March 6, 2017. Back to work September 2017. Disability is over in October 2017.

In conversation, and this is the second one I've had like this ( she calls them check ins)My manager made it sound like I'll never make it back. Tonight she actually made it sound like she expected me to have given up by now and that she was surprised I hadn't.

I really believe she is working very hard while I'm gone and cannot speak for myself to paint a story of physical incompetence. I have arthritis ( moderate to severe in the knees and feet) as well but the hip is why I am off. So she brought up the arthritis as if that was the reason I was not at work. I did correct this politely.

I have met with other staff socially and have been slightly confused by their comments and questions "oh you are coming back" or " are you coming back" and more and when I say I am working very hard and hope to be back next year they look at each other like they know something I don't.

Tonight my manager talked about a friend who when he was off on disability the insurance company retrained him, and how she thought that they would do that with me. I suggested that the insurance package his company paid for was maybe slightly different and that you had to pay for extras like that. our insurance company does not do that.

I truly don't know what life will be like once I lose weight and have my hip replaced.

Has anyone been through this. Can they renege on what they have said, even when I have it recorded. Do they not have to give me time to get back on my feet. This manager has done this before with others, repeated, we all worry about her, she is the reason I recorded the conversation, she has also bullied people to the point where they leave to get away from her so it very feasible however is it legal.

Anyone know. Anyone been there.

fiercebynature
on 3/14/16 6:03 pm
Topic: RE: Chronic arthritis and the preference of VSG

Life can be so hard when you have arthritis can't it and know one really knows except those who experience it. I'm willing to try and do without Nsaid for as long as I can but as you know this is progressive and I want options down the road. I'm willing to earn my pain but I know how bad it can be specially as you age. I want options. My mom currently does injection in her back and hip and they certainly help. I hope they work for you too.

fiercebynature
on 3/14/16 5:55 pm

Good luck on your new journey! I have copies of all my reports regarding my arthritis I'm hoping that will help me get what I feel I need.

Thanks and I would love to here how your adventure unfolds.

fiercebynature
on 2/8/16 4:13 pm

Does anyone have advise on how I  put forth the preference for the VSG due to chronic arthritis and the need to take Nsaids .

I experience massive swelling in my feet and  knees.( some of the joints in my feet are fusing)  I have degenerative disk disease in my back.

Tylenol never works because my joints swell and that causes pain . I already use a tens machine , massage, physio. I am in contact with the arthritis association. I have tried acupuncture.

I need a hip replacement and so I take a narcotic which does  not help the arthritis at all.

I have lost 55 pounds pre surgery and although there is improvement it's not a lot. (Most studies say I  have already lost enough weight  to feel any relief I am going to feel in the joints. )

I worry that if I have the RNY I am limiting my ability to treat my arthritis without taking major narcotics to live and I don't feel that narcotics are in my best interest.

I know about cortisone shots but that is not what I want to be doing at my age although I may end up there eventually.

So please, if anyone has advise, wisdom or any research  you may have come upon during your journey to share, I would be grateful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 92 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2329 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3534 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4803 views