CJ On Orcas’s Posts

CJ On Orcas
on 2/23/17 7:28 am
Topic: RE: Scared about stopping my NSAID!

I did nit know about Tylenol Arthritis.  Will find that today, thank you!  I used to take MEloxicam, but it is forbidden forever now.

CJ On Orcas
on 1/23/17 10:59 am

I am four months out from surgery.  Down almost 70 pounds.  Still pretty bad pain in my knee, and it seems to get worse the more weight I lose.  BUT I take nothing except Tylenol, so basically on no meds.  I was scheduled to have a knee replacement, but I had a minor stroke so that was put off until after March.  I take turmeric 2000 mg a day, which seems to help with arthritis in general but not the knee, which is already bone-on-bone.

Even though the knee (and legs, really) are worse, I am SO GLAD I had the surgery.  I definitely recommending having it.

CJ On Orcas
on 10/12/16 10:07 am
Topic: RE: Exercise where to start???

Swim!!!  I am only a month post-op, still waiting for one incision to heal up before I can swim but that helps so, so much.  I have not been able to walk with bad knees and a hip, so feel totally incapacitated.  Hopefully next week I will be cleared to start again.  I noticed that moving at all helps with arthritis.  Good luck to you on your journey.

CJ On Orcas
on 10/12/16 10:04 am

I got that... at my one-week post-op with PCP, she suggested that I ask my surgeon if I could use an NSAID patch.  I asked at my two-week post-op with surgeon.  He said:  "no NSAIDs.  Period.  Ever.  No oral, no injectable, no patch, nothing that is labeled NSAID!"  My PCP said she had never heard that before.  Duh.

Hopefully they can find something that will help.  Turmeric is really helping with the arthritis in general, but the hip and leg pain is pretty bad still.

CJ On Orcas
on 10/12/16 10:01 am

My surgery went well... I am a month post-op and still am having a hard time with pain.  I have to use a walking stick now when I walk any distance (even a block is too much...) and have already had x-rays.  PCP has referred me to a pain management clinic.  Phys therapy did not work.  Although I am 40 pounds lighter my arthritis in hip and knees is pretty bad.  I am hoping to get some good news when I go to the pain clinic.  Either gabapentin, or something else.  Good luck to you in your journey!

CJ On Orcas
on 8/16/16 4:48 pm

Thank you for that post!  So glad there might be another option for arthritis pain control.  I am on one pill every three days now, weaning myself off.  i am taking pectin and grape juice which may be helping, and turmeric which also may be helping.  I am stiff all the time but losing weight should help.  Good luck to you, too!

CJ On Orcas
on 8/13/16 12:16 pm

I am scheduled for RNY surgery September 9, and know that I will have to stop taking Meloxicam, an NSAID  I was prescribed couple of years ago for osteoarthritis pain.  When I had to stop it for a week prior to endoscopy, I could barely walk by the time th endoscopy happened.  Now, I am realizing that I will not ever be able to take it again!  The nurse at my pre-op seminar suggested purple pectin (tablespoon of liquid pectin in Grape juice) and turmeric.  I am weaning myself off the Meloxicam now, only taking a pill every other day and planning to go to one every three days next week.  But my knees and hip are really starting to ache now.  Afraid of what will happen when I can't  take anything!  Any advice out there?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 83 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2321 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3529 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4797 views