Weight Loss and Health Issues

katiemother
on 11/14/05 2:04 am - Northern, VA
Prior to WLS I had uncontrolled diabetes (I usually took 80 units of insulin along with metformin and glucotrol and still had sugars in the 200/300s), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux, wheezing or rattling coming from my bronchial tubes, stress incontinence, and a lack of interest in doing anything other than watching television and taking naps. This was at 5'6" almost 5'7" and 217 pounds. I can't imagine what my health would have been if I'd gained anymore weight. 10 weeks later and 38 pounds lighter, I am seeing some definate improvements. Acid reflux is gone, along with the wheezing. So is the stress incontinence. I can sneeze without peeing my pants!!! While still on medication for high blood pressure, my readings are constantly in the low normal range. I fully expect to have the meds reduced when I see my PCP again. Although it is variable each day, my need for insulin has come down also. I have halved my oral meds and my insulin in down to 15 units a day. The best benefit is my renewed interest in life. I am rarely home. I play tournament poker at least four nights a week, go to the gym, shop for clothes, go to the movies and other things that I had lost interest in. Naps once my best friend are almost gone now. Didn't take a single nap this weekend. Too busy and alive for that. Barb
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/05 2:24 am - Chicago, IL
Great news Barb! I think you're going to see continued improvement as you move toward your weight goal. It can only get better and better! I was amazed at how rapidly I saw improvements. I had developed textbook metabolic syndrome: hypertension, high cholesterol, rising blood sugar. I was on meds for all. I went off all my meds before my surgery and ended up never going back on any of them! By the end of the first month post-op, everything was NORMAL! It hardly seemed possible! I am still quite overweight (I've got a ways to go) but somehow the body changes brought on by this surgery is bringing nothing but positive benefits. We live in an age of amazing medical science! The months I spent on Avandia for blood sugar really drove home for me how much more difficult it is for people with diabetes to control their weight. You've done the very best thing you could do for yourself. I think one of the most important things we can all do for ourselves is to take advantage of the opportunities this surgery brings us. Get out and DO MORE! Start doing what you couldn't do before! I used to take a late afternoon nap almost every day myself. Now, probably thanks to my daily exercise, I sleep better than I have in years and I feel better every day. I'm definitely not tired like I used to be. It's great! Continued success Barb! Keep us updated!
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/05 3:13 am - Oak park, MI
My Aunt went from an insulin dependent diabetic to only needing one pill a day with NO insulin. This happend for her within 9 months of surgery.
katiemother
on 11/14/05 4:00 am - Northern, VA
Thanks Terri and Dona for the support!. It seems the longer I'm on Earth, the better I get at this life thingie. I should be an expert just about in time to die. LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
New Group
LeaAnn · 0 replies · 272 views
hi everyone
lovelylisa · 0 replies · 306 views
WOW!
BrownieGirl · 4 replies · 326 views