OT: Horrid grammar and spelling

LizH
on 12/14/05 1:07 pm - Cheverly, MD
First off, I'm an editor, so I'm a grammar nazi by trade. But is anyone else *horrified* by the vast majority of posts on this site? It doesn't seem to be a matter of people simply being in a rush or feeling too informal to bother cleaning up -- it seems like these mistakes wouldn't come naturally to someone with more than a 3rd-grade education. And yet it's so pervasive, by people who look completely "normal" in their pictures. It's mind-boggling. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to resign myself to "loosing wait."
katiemother
on 12/14/05 10:47 pm - Northern, VA
Guilty. Although I proof my posts, I always find an error after I post. Maybe if we pray, our spelling and grammar will improve. Barb
LizH
on 12/15/05 7:12 am - Cheverly, MD
No, you're not guilty AT ALL of the shocking crap I'm talking about (er...about which I'm talking, lol).
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/05 2:38 am - Oak park, MI
It bothers me too. I have a hard time taking someone seriously who has NO idea how to use periods to end sentences. I try not to be too picky as I know not everyone has had the benefit of education, but it helps if they try a little. My husband gets a newsletter from his company once a month. The President writes his own thing at the end. That guy has the worst writing skills I haver seen for someone in a position of that level. He uses dashes instead of periods. It is laughable and embarrassing. Doesn't he have a secretary to proofread for him? UGH! My own director at my old job used to run every letter and email past me for proofreading as she knew her skills were not up to par. She knew she needed help and I never minded lending my skills. The director after her was horrible! Her I's were not even capitalized. If you cannot type a complete sentence, you should not be in a position of authority. I am so happy to be educated. I had the Nazi teacher from hell when I first started college who drilled proper sentence structure into my head where it is permanantly etched for life. Terri
Sally C.
on 12/15/05 3:42 am - colesville, MD
To err is human...... May want to re-read your posting. According to webster, "Haver" means to walk foolishly, it doesn't really apply to your sentence. Unless, you meant to say "have ever seen?" Let us laugh at ourselves and take the errors of others a little less seriously. I do appreciate a well constructed sentence, (my mother was an English major). But I feel the message board has a casual atmosphere, where strict grammer or the "grading" of one's writing skills aren't all that important. I would hope all feel comfortable expressing their thoughts regarding WLS and their interests, without the concern of being embarrassed, or judged as an idiot. Humbly~ SallyC P.S. Please forgive me if I have mispelled anything or spoken incorrectly? And thank you kindly.
katiemother
on 12/15/05 4:21 am - Northern, VA
Sally, I went to your profile and can't find any reason why you would be posting on this board. We come here to get away from the believers. Barb B.
Sally C.
on 12/15/05 4:30 am - colesville, MD
What does that have to do with anythng? I mentioned nothing of my faith or my beliefs on my posts. I have been nothing but kind and have never spoken to you in a rude or distasteful manner. So what's up? Sally C
katiemother
on 12/15/05 4:35 am - Northern, VA
Sally, It doesn't matter if you're nice and kind, as I'm sure you are. I'm nice and kind also. I'm also direct and want to know why you're here. We have nothing for you. We're Athiests. We want to discuss issues here without any religious slant. Your profile suggests you have an agenda. Else, why would you even come this way? This was supposed to be our place. You are more than welcome to lurk but again I ask, why are you here? Barb
Sally C.
on 12/15/05 4:56 am - colesville, MD
Dear Barb~ Simply posted because I had a comment on the topic, just as I would on other message boards of differents interests. Why are you so suspiscious? BTW, I didn't see anything in my profile that indicated an agenda. Yes, I am a Christian, but that had no bearing on the topic at all. I go to several message boards of many different interests. I don't think they are restricted, unless otherwise indicated in the guidelines. I guess I just don't have any fears of going to unchartered territory for someone like myself. I was or am not trying to offend anyone at all. But apparently just my presence causes you apprehension or fear. I'll go away. Thank you, Sally C P.S. did I answer your question?
Debbie In Lucerne
on 12/15/05 5:30 am - Lucerne 7, Switzerland
Barb, I have an agenda! My agenda is to learn all about this surgery that I can. In the process I'd like to make a few friends, engage in some intresting conversation and have a few laughs. To that end I have no problem with a non atheist reading or posting on this or any other forum. I may actually learn something from them! I wish there was more posting as a matter of fact on this forum. To chase away people by telling them that they don't belong here is well forgive me for saying this, but it's mean. Imagin the stories now, how mean the atheist board is..... I may be an Atheist but I'm a nice gal underneath? D - AKA The worst speller in the world - I misspelled L-O-V-E in the sixth grade spelling bee. I spelled it L-U-V.
Most Active
Recent Topics
New Group
LeaAnn · 0 replies · 272 views
hi everyone
lovelylisa · 0 replies · 306 views
WOW!
BrownieGirl · 4 replies · 326 views