capco To do or Not to do? from Bayswater Victoria.

capco
on 5/22/08 10:40 am - Australia
I would love to hear from any one who had a by pass surgery (Roux-E-Y) I am scheduled to be operated on by the end of June. I am obese, with type 2 diabetes, (not well in control) together with high blood pressure. My doctor advised me that, many of my problems will be solved by loosing weight, he also advised me to have that Gastric by pass operation. I read too many pro's and con's about it. I would love to hear what are the complications developed after the operation? And what sort of life do you now lead? Capco
leisac
on 5/31/08 9:56 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13
Hi there. I haven't had bypass surgery but did have a sleeve gastrectomy just over 6 months ago. Have lost 54.8kg so far and am still losing. Wish I had had WLS years ago now but in a way also glad I waited as the sleeve is relatively new and a great fit for my lifestyle. Originally thought I would get a band but am glad that I have gone the way I have. No on-going maintenance and can still eat whatever I want just in much smaller quantities. I am a carnivore and still wanted to be able to enjoy steak, etc. I had sleep apnoea and was pre-diabetic prior to surgery. My sleep apnoea has gone but not sure about the diabetes stuff as I haven't had repeat bloods as yet. I do know that there are plenty of people on the sleeve message board on the main board that have been able to ditch their diabetic medication. Good luck with your surgery. Cheers Leisa
capco
on 6/1/08 7:02 pm - Australia
Hi Leisa, I am sorry I have not been able to respond to your letter earlier. I live in Australia, and our Federal government will only fund the By Pass operation, it is regarded as a cure rather than cosmetic. I wanted to have a sleeve inserted, our Medi. care would not pay for it. However I would go to any extend to cure this D... Diabetes, and not to mention sleep apnoea, and high blood pressure. Alas I love my food too much, and have spend the best part of my life being in and out diets.(Have tried them all) Sure I can lose weight, but I would put it back on faster than, I would lose it. I am so glad, and looking forward to have this operation as I am really getting too depressed at time, and hate my self being so fat. Thanks a lot for your support, you look terrific with out all this weight on. Good luck and thanks again. Capco.
leisac
on 6/1/08 9:46 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13
I thought the fact that I was working in kg might have given away that I live in Australia too- forgot that lots of other places work in metric too. I live in North Queensland and was fortunate enough to have private health insurance pay a fair part of the cost. Still around $5,000 out of pocket though. I wish you all the success in the world with your surgery and if I can lend a supportive ear or offer any advice at any time just let me know. Cheers Leisa
capco
on 6/2/08 8:21 pm - Australia
Thanks Leisa for you support. Perhaps after the operation I might call on you for eating tips. It sure is an advantage at time to have private insurance. I am schedule to have the operation toward end of June, beginning of July. All the best, Capco
melonsno1
on 6/23/09 6:40 pm - Australia
i am going to have the Gastric sleeve by pass operation on 30th June i am glad to here positive feed back and if any one has had this done for more than 12 months
Most Active
Recent Topics