Awaiting weight loss surgery

andream5
on 8/3/08 9:15 am - Australia
HI all Congratulations to all those that have had the surgery. I am contemplating having the sleeve done and have spoken to a lovely lady about it. I have read a few messages from people on line and they all seem very very positive. I am absolutley terrified but then have had ops previously and felt the same way. I work full time and basically wondered if taking a week to 10 days will be enough time to have the op and recover well enough for work..
armsta02
on 8/3/08 12:43 pm - Australia
Hi Andrea Congrats on your decision to make some life changes. Bariatric surgery is a big step in taking control of your weight. Being terrified of surg is a pretty normal thing - it is good to be aware of all the pros and cons, but dont make yourself ill over it. As for time off work, it really depends what type of work you do. Pain levels should be controlled no problems by day 10, but you will feel really weak and tired - and you shouldnt be on your feet all day. If you have an office job 10 days should be ok - I would say 2 weeks would be better. On your feet work 3 weeks - and then take it easy. The reasons you feel weak and tired are.. normal post op feeling (some people more than others), the biggest is the sudden drop in calorie and food intake - you prob wont be hungry and will have to force the food down in the first few weeks - small amounts often (6 times a day) and it seems to take forever to eat, especially for me.. a busy working mum I could 'speed eat' a meal in about 60 seconds. Sitting for 15 min to eat 1/2 cup of food was so frustrating!..I am much much better now (5 yrs post op) and eat like normal people (maybe a little slower) Good luck - post up your questions so we can help you out PS If you get the date for surg, exercise lots before surgery - it will help reduce your recover time and complications of surg if you are a few kilos lighter..
windsong
on 8/3/08 4:08 pm - Australia
Hi Andrea Two weeks should be fine to have off before going back to work. Have you been on the forum for vertical sleevers on this site? Most of us are on the main sites as this doesn't get much movement, also you will get most of the answers you need as others post them. I had my op june 10th 2008 and have lost 15kgs. Debbie
leisac
on 8/3/08 8:58 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13
Hi Andrea. Sleeve is the best thing I have ever done. Had my surgery late November last year and have lost 61kg so far. Let me know if you have any queries. I live in North Queensland and have a couple of friends who have also had the procedure since I had mine done. It's really good to have that sort of support. Leisa
andream5
on 8/3/08 10:54 pm - Australia
Thank you for your prompt replies.....all I need to do now is make the date so I will keep you posted when I have had it done.
Most Active
Recent Topics