Has anyone had the band removed and then gone one to have the gastric sleeve done?

tynam
on 8/6/08 5:37 pm - Australia
I had the band put in about 4 years ago and lost a miserable total of only 17kgs and as of today I am back to the weight I started with. I have gone to see my surgeon about a bypass but he has suggested a gastric sleeve resection, which sounds good, but so did the band back then. I will probably make my decision over the next fortnight but would appreciate any advice from someone whose been there and done that.
erogam
on 8/15/08 7:39 pm - Yeerongpilly, Australia
I had my band removed a year ago due to it continually slipping - have now gained 18 of the 20 kilos I lost and am having an RNY bypass on August 25. I thought about a gastric sleeve but am a sweet eater so the fear of dumping is what I need! Good luck, Margie
shazza73
on 8/17/08 7:06 pm - Australia
I have not had band, but I tried to last week and the surgeon had problems due to an artery of mine in the way. Good luck, make the decision and go with it , I did that and Im not looking back.
kingfish
on 9/1/08 11:24 am - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
Hi Tynam

I had a hell journey with my band which is detailed on my profile.   My band was the pits from the start - slow weight loss, leaky port within three months, more slow weight  loss and over the next 2 years I gained and lost the same 3 - 5 kigs.   Had complications when it was discovered I had a severe band erosion and out it came.   It was then confirmed that the band was unlocked the whole time I had it.   I revised to a sleeve exactly 4 weeks ago and it has been a fantastic journey so far.   I was so lucky not to suffer the post op discomfort that many others go through, and so far I have lost nearly 12kgs (nearly 16 if I include my highest weight before banding.)   I feel great, have no worries with taking extra supplements, I can eat most things including fruit and veg, and I don't have any regrets, I just wish this surgery had been available here at the time I had my band surgery.

Good luck with your research.    Marion

PS

My profile outlines my story in detail.
Highest weight................303
Day of surgery ................ 286
Current weight............... 228 Loss to date................75lbs

First Goal...................220
LOVING MY SLEEVE AND LOVING MY LIFE
suzyqt
on 3/18/10 9:04 pm - Australia
Hi all

I had a band done about 8 years ago and it was he best thing I ever did. I went from 136kg down to a healthy 78-80 kg and stayed that way with no problems for a long time(I had a great surgeon and a great after care Dr)  Unfortunately 2 years ago it slipped and he had to put another (newer) one in. It was never the same, I had it removed in May 09 then had the RYN done on the 5th of Oct at 121kg !!  I have lost 24 kg in the 5 months and to be honest Im feel a little disheartened by it. I know 2 people who have had the sleeve, and WOW, their loss has been amazing ! Im thinking that maybe should have gone for the Sleeve, considering that I had 2/3 of my stomach stapled off and my "plumbing" which is suppose to half my calorie intake !!!  So why is it taking so long ?? No Im not pigging out on "crap" not wih the threat of the "dumping" feeling Is anyone feeling the same ???

Suz
:-(
Most Active
Recent Topics