What Is Life After RNY Like?

bella80
on 9/23/09 10:41 pm - Brisbane, Australia
 Hi,

I am booked in for RNY on October 6 and would love to hear from others in Australia and what their experiences have been like.  

What is life like after surgery?  I know what my surgeon has told me and I know what I have heard from many American's on youtube who have had it, but would love to hear from fellow Aussies.  So many of the people on youtube blogging about their RNY seem completely miserable and this is starting to scare me. They sound as if RNY rules/runs their life!

Looking forward to hearing from those who have had RNY!

Thanks 
suzyqt
on 3/18/10 8:54 pm - Australia
Hi Bella

Im Suzy and had my RNY on the 5th of October in Bisbane.  I had a bad 2 weeks with inflamation (swelling) but other than that have been ok.....except I've only lost 24kg in 5 months and feel so disheartened by it all. I have a few friends who have had the Sleeve and it seems tht the wweight is falling off them ! Did you ever experience the "slow down" and if so what did you do ??  I thought it woule be eaier than this :(

Suzy
bella80
on 3/18/10 9:00 pm - Brisbane, Australia
 Hi Suzy!

So good to hear from a fellow Brisbaner!  Who was your surgeon?  Were you a 'virgin' RNYer? Or had you had a band previously?

Don't be too disheartened, my loss is very slow also. I have lost about the same as you in the same time. According to my records I'm down 26kg, but according to my Nutritionist, it's only 23 or something, so we are on about the same page!

I had a band for a long time which damaged my tummy, meaning my surgeon couldn't make my tummy as small as it should be for RNY, which is why my loss is slower than virgin RNYers.

Would love to talk to you further!

Hayley

suzyqt
on 3/18/10 9:16 pm - Australia
Hi Hayley

Yayyyyyy I have found someone :-)
YES I had a band for over 8 years, it was the best thing back then. I was 136kg when it went in and go down to 78-80kg which was a happy and healthy weight for me.  Unfortunately it slipped just over a year and half ago and he had to put in a new one, which was never the same.  I had the band removed by Dr George Hopkins in May 09 then the RYN on the 5th Oct.  I guess that consdering what we had done I thought that it would be "quicker". I know people that had the Sleeve and their weight has "fallen" off .  One thing I dont understand is that when people get the sleeve, the other bit of stomach is taken out (but left in when we have the RYN ??) and apparantly that is the part that makes the hungry hormone !  
I was starting to think that he forgot to make my stomach smaller ! but what about half calorie intake with the "plumbing" changes ? 
 You in FB or msn ??

Suz
manuvanilla
on 11/20/10 9:15 pm - Stratton, Australia
Hi fellow Australian,

I am new to the forum and hope this will give me the courage to continue fighting the "pretty much" lost cause that is my weight.

I had a lapband put in in december 2005 and although I lost 38 kgs within 8 months ( with frequent visist to the hospital for dehydration and visit to my surgeon for refills and defills and lets not forget the continuous throwing up and acid reflux) now I am considering getting a bypass RNY as un fortunately my weight is now at an all time high... I am ashamed to say I weigh now close to 120 kgs even though i am only 1.65M...

Unfortunatly for me what went wrong was, i was living in kalgoorlie about 3 years ago and was trying to get pregnant but with the constant throwing up my doctor recommended for me to loosened the band so that I could eat properly get some strenght and get pregnant.
WELL although I got pregnant ( I dont regret it for the world) I started to put on weight faster then I had lost it and I mean fast!!!

So Once I had my beautifull little boy I was 112 kgs and so depressed but still thought I will go get my lapband tightened and everything will go back to normal, WELL IT DID NOT!!! after a couple of refills and defills it turned out my lapband had slipped and was of no use to me anymore as a pouch had already formed at the top of the Band!!!

I now am faced with the decesion do I go for a lapband again knowing how miserable it made me or do I go for a bypass Rny????

Can anyone give me some advice and some info on bypass as well as estimated cost...

I hope to hear from someone soon as I am freaking out!!! my weight is getting out of control and I am scared of all  the repercussion it entails!!!

Thank you...
Most Active
Recent Topics