Autistic Children & Divorce - Anyone have tips ?????

blue_eyedtexasgirl
on 8/25/05 3:32 pm - Garland, TX
Does anyone have any tips on explaining divorce to an autistic child? I have twin boys who both have forms of Autism (one with Asperger's and the other one is a pretty high functioning level of Autism - very verbal). I know that they are aware of what is going on and one of my sons is really having a problem with the fact that I am even looking for a job - I'm concerned about how my sons will do when the actual moving out of their father is done. There is constant fighting going on all of the time verbally between his dad and I and they aren't that crazy about their father but I know there is going to be an impact. Any tips at all would be great.
Mickey M.
on 9/16/05 12:38 pm - Nipomo, CA
I have not had a divorce, but I find my boys to be really good about big changes if things are discussed on a mature level with them. I know alot of parents would disagree with treating a child like this, but if your boys are like mine, the asperger one is like a little old man and the other is not happy unless he know for sure exactly what's around the corner. They are not like other little kids that only notice the big picture-they notice the freckles on the actor behind the star in the movie (if you know what I mean). Good luck-I know your boys must be as special as my 3 and 10 year old.
Most Active
Recent Topics
advice
Erica Perez · 1 replies · 326 views
Autism Walk of Hope
ScoutMom14 · 0 replies · 795 views
Aspergers Diagnosis
Dixie Chick · 2 replies · 726 views
Hev-b Proteins and Autism
mdochniak · 0 replies · 368 views