NEW BIKE RECCOMENDATIONS?

Kenniestrek
on 2/6/06 9:31 pm - NY
Hi all I am a former avid bike rider and looking forward to becoming a born again cycler. I had surgery almost 3 weeks ago and I am now looking forward to buying myself a new bike to replace my worn out Diamond back Mountain bike! Most of my riding is street riding but I do love trail riding as well. Best cycling trip for me was at Killington Vermont back when I was seperated a few years ago. It was a great trip for exercise/pleasure, and soul searching. I plan to go back this year! My thoughts on a new high-end bike are; Trek/Gary Fisher/Cannondale or perhaps a Specialized?? Any thought swill be helpful?? Thanks Kenny
Ocean1star
on 3/2/06 6:01 am - Covington, LA
Kenny, I bought a Bianchi about a year after surgery, then switched to a triathlon set up bike from Felt. Most important is to go to a reputable bike shop and have them measure you for a bike and make sure the bike is a good fit for your height (including leg length, arm length, body length, etc.) Susan
Kenniestrek
on 3/3/06 12:18 am - NY
Thanks for writing Susan. That post is several weeks old, for some reason not many people go into that cycling room? I picked out a Specialized Stump Jumper, Expert Level, and I just need to figure out how to pay for it? It's $2.400.00 yikes! Thanks Kenny
Ocean1star
on 3/3/06 12:56 am - Covington, LA
I feel ya! My Felt was over $1,700. And triathlon gear is like most other, you can buy as much crap as your heart desires at all different prices. I love all those gadgets. It's addictive. Are you mainly a biker? I highly recommend branching out into multisport (duathlons/triathlons). So satisfying. I'm signed up for an Ironman distance triathlon in November. It will be a real stretch for me, as I'm painfully aware that God did not intend me to be very successful in any of the three sports - I'm 5'3" and have short legs! But, that kind of race is not about winning, it's about finishing within the time limits. I've got a real passion to be able to call myself an Ironman. It's like what my mom said about a college education, it's something no one can take away from me. I do wish you health and happinessl. Susan
ChristineB
on 3/24/06 9:33 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
My husband last year bought a chainless bicycle made by Dynamic Bicycles out of MA. It has a rear wheel drive shaft that takes the place of the chain. It is a heavy bike, but very smooth. You can shift gears while pedaling or standing still at a traffic signal. He had to have the latest "toy". Here is their web site. http://www.dynamicbicycle.com/
Katherine A.
on 5/22/06 4:50 am - Klein, TX
if you ask my husband, he would say Specialized, if you ask me, I would stay Trek. granted, HE is 6ft 6in and 177 lbs so he doesnt put much strain on his bike (8% body fat) I on the other hand am making my Trek 4100 haul a BMI of 43.1 so I would say that this bike is pretty sturdy, both on road and off. I did change out the tires and got something that was less 'mountain - knobby' and more multiuse which gives me less 'rolling resistance' on paved trails.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MS 150 Anyone?
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 332 views
Just found this place!
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 305 views
first time out after surgery
ladydino · 4 replies · 520 views
Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
John White · 0 replies · 350 views
Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
John White · 2 replies · 426 views