Nutirtion on the bike

Gretchen M.
on 4/24/06 3:34 am - Bowie, MD
Hey biker buddies, how do you handle nutrition on the bike since we are not supposed to drink and eat at the same time? Do you consume carbs like we did in the bad old days (bananas, gu, power bars, trail mix)? I'm doing OK pre-loading at 25 miles but when I push the mileage I really need some nutrition to avoid bonking. Thoughts?
Katherine A.
on 5/22/06 4:46 am - Klein, TX
I pop a shake in my 'basket' and drink it down, if you freeze them first, they are thawed but cold for the ride home.
Ocean1star
on 6/19/06 12:49 am - Covington, LA
When I was training for the MS Tour, I ate Cliff Bars. I would cut each bar into 9-12 pieces and put then in a Bento Box for easy access. At 3-4 mile intervals I would eat a piece. It wasn't enough to fill the pouch where I couldn't drink, but it was enough to keep my nutrition in place. I supplemented with GU packets also. If you're doing endurance riding, you're burning up all those calories, so don't worry about that.
ncarter11
on 7/6/06 2:58 am - Edmonds, WA
I do something like what Susan does.... I use Gu or granola (regular or cliff) bars in bite sized portions stored in my bento box! HA! I sip fliuds in between bites of food. Post ride I go for a half a banana - sometimes with peanut butter! I dilute sport drinks and after a really long run or ride I might down a recovery drink. I am still working on nutrition for longer rides. It's a process finding out what works for you. I can tolerate lots of diff foods on the bike. Running is where I suck at fueling. I hate anything going in when I run. Gu works best when I run but it takes me 20 minutes to get that little oz in! I am so excited to have found this board! Nancy 09/16/04 Medial RNY 276/136/138 -140 Below goal - yeah!
Gretchen M.
on 7/7/06 1:35 am - Bowie, MD
Many thanks for the hints, I have gone the bar route and am cutting up Odwalla Super Protein Bar. Though I would love to use the GU it was a little too much carb load for me. I'm up to 80+ miles on the weekends and headed out next week for a 6 day 350 mile ride. Wish me luck!
ncarter11
on 7/7/06 1:50 am - Edmonds, WA
Oh I can't wait to hear about your 6day tour! OMgoodness! Please post about it. I'm glad you've found what works for you re fueling. Yippeee! Can't wait to read about your ride. Congrats on your awesome distances. I can't wiat to say the same of me! Blessings and Health! Nancy
John White
on 7/13/06 6:03 am - CA
Hey guys, I was looking for this exact information. I tried posting to the Exercise forum, but it seems to have gotten eaten. So are the energy gels ok, or do they cause dumping? I use Cytomax electrolyte/energy drink diluted at 2x package reccomendation. Really worried about the bonking, even though I'm really only up at the 10mile every other day point. Pre-op. I'm really concerned about nutrition during the ride.
das451
on 8/19/06 6:03 am - Wilmington, DE
I am using Hammer Gels for my century rides. They are 4:1 Carbs to Protein ratio. I have about 2900 miles this year and have bonked twice. Talking with my doc and he thinks it might be an electrolyte thing. Did not realize that your muscles need some simple carbs (sugars) to metabolize the electrolytes. After I found that out the gels and some nuts seem to sustain me longer. Hope that this forum can become active. I think that we are in a strange new area combining gastric bypass with long distance cycling. The traditional cycling advice seems to conflict with what the nutrionists are saying.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MS 150 Anyone?
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 332 views
Just found this place!
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 305 views
first time out after surgery
ladydino · 4 replies · 520 views
Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
John White · 0 replies · 350 views
Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
John White · 2 replies · 426 views