Recent Posts

donnainhouston
on 2/27/08 9:47 pm - League City, TX
Topic: MS 150 Anyone?
Anyone here doing the Ms150 ride from Houston to Austin?
donnainhouston
on 10/2/07 6:15 am - League City, TX
Topic: Just found this place!
I am so glad I just found this message board. I knew the fitness and exercise board existed, but never heard of this one! I'm almost 11 months post-op and down almost 90 lbs. My "low" weight pre-op was 242 lbs., and even at that time I could ride about 30 miles before my butt would go so numb that I coudn't ignore it! One of the things I looked forward too was riding my new bike post-op. I have a Specialized Dolce Vita road bike, which is body geomety specific for woman. Man! I can't event begin to explain how good it feels to ride now -- You just don't realize how much you were carrying before until you're not carrying it anymore! T then I'm sure most of you know that by now. I just completed my first event, the Tour de Pink. I registered for the 47 mile ride, but had my very first-ever dumping episode the morning of the race. Scared, I opted for the 25 mile ride -- I thought it safer. I have always eaten cream o' wheat post-op, but I was out of my high-protein, lactose free milk, so I used regular skim.. let's just say they're right when they say... NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING RACE DAY! I guess the carbs/surgars were too much and caused and insulin response that left me dry heaving and "foaming." Given that experience, I'm sure you can imagine how happy I was to see some discussion on fueling for longer rides. I started training for the Danskin Tri in Disney for 2008, and I was a little worried about that aspect. Anyway, I'm no worse for the wear and glad to find you all! Donna
Katherine A.
on 4/1/07 12:19 am - Klein, TX
Topic: RE: first time out after surgery
when I ride, I do not carb out. I protien out instead. I cook up and portion out pork chops or eggs or something and do really well. and water. for some reason the warmer the water, the easier it goes down, even now, 10 months out. 12 miles is outstanding. I was able to do 9.2 ten days post op, but that has been my max. Kat [275/146] 11 months @ goal Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a lovely and well-preserved body, but rather a skid to broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW! What a ride!" http://www.wretchedheathen.com
John White
on 3/25/07 1:32 am - CA
I'm feeling guilty for not riding more than every other week or so, but I've been fighting a bum knee and doing swing dancing, which is slightly more social than cycling. But nowhere near the same amount of exercise. 40 miles is an awesome goal. Do you ride with a heart rate monitor and bike computer? I highly recommend it. Helps to really focus in on the type of riding that improves one's stamina. I don't have a problem with peanut butter, but it's always high in fat/oil, and if you use the commercial stuff, it has a lot of sugar too. Cytomax is a fluid replacement drink in powdered form. All the bike shops around here stock it (I don't recommend the cranberry grapefruit flavor!). I use about a scoop and a half of powder for 48 oz (two 24 oz bottles). Perhaps a bit more to taste. http://cytosport.com/products/cytomax.html I too am sad at the lack of activity in the bicycling forum. It's very odd, as it's not listed on the main forum list. One has to go through the exercise forum and know the link is there. 30 seconds of thought should reveal that fostering healthy activity groups is a good thing.
ladydino
on 3/24/07 7:32 am - Phenix City, AL
John, I am loving to get out and ride! And it's so much easier now that I'm a 100 pounds lighter than before surgery. Went out today on the riverwalk here and it was gorgeous. I am building my stamina but still have a long way to go. I am still working on getting up to 40 miles so that I can do my first organized ride for charity in April. I'll have to try the oatmeal. I have had fair success eating oatmeal so far so never know if it's going to go down. I took peanut butter protein balls that I made on the ride today and did ok with that. I'll definitely look into cytomax - never heard of it before. Where do you find it? I am so sad that the bicycling forum is not more active. Riding is such a wonderful thing for me and I just knew that there would be more people on here. Kim
John White
on 3/12/07 4:41 am - CA
Nice job! Have you been riding since? I generally eat a small bowl of oatmeal before a ride. I've never used gu or even the cliff-shots that I pack. Too scared. I have taken a protein bar, the Premier Nutrition 30g protein bar they sell at Costco. But I know that I don't dump on it. I use Cytomax at half strength instead of water. It gives me some carbs while riding. I too would like to do a century this year, but my mileage has been terrible in these first 2.5 months.
ladydino
on 11/25/06 9:31 am - Phenix City, AL
Topic: first time out after surgery
I went today for a ride for the first time afte surgery. My friend who has done century rides for years has been a great source of strength and encouragement to me about my cycling. I am only 7 weeks post op and was able to do 12 miles today. I might have been able to do more but we didn't want to pu**** since it was my first time out. I am so proud of myself. I was able to ride all the inclines (I call them hills) even though I was in my granny gear to do it but that's ok. That was a first for me. I am having trouble with what to eat or drink while on the bike. My friend talks about carbing up before rides and she does gu packs but I dump real easy on sugar so I'm not sure what to try. I did take peanut butter crackers today and drank watered down gu2O and did ok but again it was only 12 miles. Just wanted to share my success. I can't wait until the distance starts creeping closer to my first century ride. Kim
John White
on 10/8/06 2:06 pm - CA
Topic: Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
Rode from Chapman Ave in Orange to Huntington Beach on the river trail again. As per mentor's direction, I kept it under 15mph on the outbound ride, and pushed it only on the return. Also dealt with a nasty headwind on the outbound ride. I should -really- try to ride in the morning and avoid all the wind. On the return, I paced a guy for a couple miles (to the first bridge****il he left the trail. Rode at 16mph or under until two tandem couples passed me, and I paced them for a while at 18mph. They left the trail, and my legs fell apart. Then they passed me again! This time, I hooked on to the draft instead of just pacing, all the way back to Chapman Ave. Awesome to make it to the beach again, but I realized at my car as I was packing up that my front tire was deflated for the whole ride (I have a Geax Tatto frestyle tire and it's hard to tell sometimes). Damn! Fatigued at the end, but not in the muscular distress that I was in last Wednesday. Stopped at the beach and sent a few text messages of the "guess where I am" variety. 13:19 Exe Time: 1:42.27 Mean HR: 139 Max HR: 171 HR Zone: 138-151 In Zone: 39:05 Above Zone: 17:33 Below Zone: 45:49 Kcal: 1043 Distance: 24.5 miles Mean Speed 14.3 mph Max Speed: 26.5 mph Mean Cad: 89 Max Cad: 114 Ride Time: 1:42.24 Outbound Time: 57:22 Mean HR: 134 Max HR: 158 Mean Speed: 12.8 mph Mean Cad: 89 Return Time: 45:04 Mean HR: 145 Max HR: 171 Mean Speed: 16.2 mph Mean Cad: 89
John White
on 10/8/06 2:04 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
Much appreciated. I do cruise the men's board (there's got to be a better way to say that!), but I wanted to keep it topical, you know? Cycling is gender-neutral, and the Men's board doesn't quite seem the appropriate place to discuss it.
Boner
on 10/6/06 6:50 am - South of Boulder, CO
Topic: RE: Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
Excellent job, John! I like your ride write-up as well as the ride specs. What kind of cyclometer/heart rate monitor are you using?Keep up the great work and come on over to the men's board for more exercise/biking chat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
MS 150 Anyone?
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 333 views
Just found this place!
donnainhouston · 0 replies · 305 views
first time out after surgery
ladydino · 4 replies · 520 views
Day 78 Ride (10/8/2006)
John White · 0 replies · 350 views
Day 73 Ride (10/4/2006)
John White · 2 replies · 426 views