Senegal Parrots

Laura D.
on 4/29/04 12:45 am - Clinton, MD
I've adopted a senegal parrot, he's still begin weaned. Does anyone have any tips? I know he likes apples and loves to be out of the cage. Hopefully, he'll come home on Mother's Day I currently have 2 ****atiels (1 year and 18 years old). I've been told that I will have to be careful because the senegal could accidently hurt the ****atiel just because he has a bigger beak but I'm hoping my younger tiel will find a friend in the senegal.
Sue P.
on 5/19/04 2:15 pm - Twining, MI
I got a Senegal because I wanted a second bird, I have a DYH Amazon. The two birds hardly notice each other. Still I would not let my Senegal come in physical contact with my Amazon, my Amazon would probably hurt him thinking she was playing. Although I got this bird for me he loves my husband and wants nothing to do with me. In fact every time I have ever tried to touch him he has drawn blood. When he's on my husband's shoulder he inches his way over to get close enough to bite me. But with my husband he is so adorable, he cuddles under his chin and flips over to have his tummy scratched. He purrs, really a bird that purrs ! He waves and he coughs and sneezes because his previous owner had cystic fibrosis and coughed and sneezed a lot. So what I would say to you is try to socialize him as much as you can so he doesn't end up hating everyone but you. They can get neurotic but with lots of love and attention they can be really sweet. I would not let the Senegal come into contact with the ****atiels, but in a cage near them with supervision would work.
Laura D.
on 5/21/04 2:09 am - Clinton, MD
Thanks for the feedback Sue. We finally brought Skittles home about a week ago. He was submissive to the other parrots at the petstore but he ran after my tiel with his beak open the first time they were both out. So they have a see but not touch relationship for a while. I'm finding out that Skittle is just about as demanding as our dogs about attention. He expects to be out and on our shoulder when we're home. It's interesting to see the things that freak him out. The TV was one of the biggest new scary things. But he loves the computer screen. I've read that Senegals can be very particular about their people. So far Skittles still likes everyone. We'll have to be diligent about keeping him socialized.
KristinO
on 7/21/05 6:24 am - Fredonia, WI
Nina is my 4yr old Senegal. She is the sweetest thing in the world. She gets along well with birds bigger than her, but torments my keets all the time. So I let them out in shifts. But, she is way to much fun to ever think adopting her was a mistake (even after the bites, once in a while). I'm going to miss her when I have surgery in August. Good Luck in raising the little guy! They get in the terrible twos at about 1yr. and stay there for a long time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 422 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 684 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 396 views