sleep/pulmunary study

just1brenda
on 3/8/05 8:39 am - columbus, OH
Hi All, I just came from my sleep study/pulmunary dr. , and he said that birds may carry diseases that maybe pulmunary related to humans. Has anyone else heard of anything like this? I have parakeets that I love dearly, and was actually considering getting other birds. I have asthma and don't want to make it worse, but also don't want to give up my birds. Dogs and cats are already a no no with me. I loved my sal****er aquarium when i had it but not very interactive(besides my cow fish which kissed my hand all the time). I'm hoping he is just over jealous. Please help. .............Brenda
Valerie C.
on 3/18/05 11:43 am - Grove City, OH
Just Brenda, I wouldn't get your feathers in a bunch just yet. He is probably talking about histoplasmosis. I doubt you will be in a position to contract that. I found a link to the CDC that explains it. This is from that page: Where is H. capsulatum found? H. capsulatum is found throughout the world and is endemic in certain areas of the United States. The fungus has been found in poultry house litter, caves, areas harboring bats, and in bird roosts. I don't think you plan on living there do you? Any bird that has been brought into or born in the US has to be quaruntined before you can make it your pet. Once they pass that they are banded on their leg. So do not buy a bird that has not been banded. The link is cdc.gov search for histoplasmosis and it will give you the run down. People throwing out stuff like that just makes me nuts. He must not like birds. I will tell you tho, ****atoos (I have a U2) do have dust. And if you have allergies and asthma it might make it worse. But, don't freak about the disease part just yet. Research your bird of choice, make sure it's a good fit with your family and lifestyle and go from there! Good luck! Val
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 422 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 684 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 396 views