Eggs???

bansheeire
on 10/15/05 1:26 am - catskill, NY
My ****atiel is sitting on 2 eggs. I have absolutely no experience here. What do I do? Does she need me to do anything? She just has them in the bottom of the cage. Do I put something more comfy in there for her? Any advise please? I got the female a few months ago, because I felt bad for my male being all alone, and someone said if you brig a male into the cage they will fight. So I got him a female. Apparently no fighting here. Thanks Kerry
luvsmyfids
on 10/16/05 6:39 am - Troy, NY
Hi Kerry, congratulations on your new babies to be! Okay, Im going to give it to you in a nutshell or an eggshell so to speak. Mom and dad need a nest box. If you have a PetSmart or a pet store of any kind around you, go and get the birds a nest box. Put something in the bottom for the eggs to rest on, then put the eggs in there. Mom and dad should follow the eggs there. If there is 2 eggs, there is a great chance that they'll be more. Maybe up to 7. Eggs are called a clutch and they can have anywhere from 2-7 eggs in a clutch. Mom and dad will take turns sitting on the eggs and once the eggs hatch, they'll do most of the work. You will have to change whatever youre using as substrate in the bottom of the nest box once in a while. Mom and dad will feed the babies and because youve never done this before I wouldnt suggest that you try to handfeed. The babies can go to new homes at about 8 weeks old. Its amazing to watch this come about from an egg to a fledgling. Now for some advice. Once they start laying eggs, they will sometimes continue to do so. You may have to separate them. March-April and September-October are breeding months for the most part. You also need to make sure they have enough calcium. At least 2 cuttlebones is good, you can also make them scrambled eggs WITH the eggshells included for extra calcium. If for some reason you dont want babies, you need to remove the eggs. Problem is that mom will continue to lay them if you take them. I breed and raise ****atiels. Can you tell? LOL If you have any questions, you can email me and I'll help you as much as I can. Take care. Laurie
bansheeire
on 11/7/05 8:50 pm - catskill, NY
Thank you so much! I never recieved a notice that I had a response. Well as of today. 4 eggs and nothing. I'm asuming since she's not sitting on them today that they are not fertile. But good to know! And it's funny beacause my boy loves scrambled eggs, as soon as he sees them he goes nuts in the cage until I let him out. The female is not friendly and I can't get her to socialize. I got the amle first, and then a year later thought he needed a friend, so I got the female. Thanks Kerry
CuteDonna
on 11/7/05 8:21 pm - Effort, PA
What happen with your eggs, Did they hatch? Donna 338166
bansheeire
on 11/7/05 8:50 pm - catskill, NY
No babies Kerry
CuteDonna
on 11/7/05 11:45 pm - Effort, PA
Sorry to hear you where not a Grandma Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5