Molting and Plucking

Angel J.
on 3/27/06 2:59 pm - Troutdale, OR
My U-Too is looking really shabby. Her feather look just terrible! She has feathers all over her cage bottom and she has a bare patch on her chest. I have caught her plucking.. and I think I know why... She needs her outdoor aviary time. It has been too wet and rainy and she is getting cabin fever. But why do her feathers have that "tattered" look? Is this a sign of something the tattered feathers? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Hugs Angel J
Tracy S.
on 6/15/06 12:19 am - LOCUST GROVE, VA
Angel, I foster and have adopted 1 bird. I am a bit obsessed with Avian care. Nutrition and activity level is very important. Toos are famous for plucking. First, you may want to take him/her to the vet to make sure there is nothing physical causing it. Birds are very good about hiding illnesses. Then do some research on diet. There is a good yahoo group call "feeding feathers". You may want to check it out. They have helped a lot of pluckers become full feathered follies. You may know all this, but just in case. I would have responded sooner, but I just signed on to this website yesterday. Hope all is well. I know a lot of resources for avian care and fun places too, so if you need some more info, let me know. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but do know where to go to find the experts. I worry about my babies all the time, they are like my kids. Good luck, Tracy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Parrotmom of 5
Eveningblossom · 2 replies · 422 views
Cockatiel passed away :'(
mysaffireeyes · 3 replies · 685 views
Molting and Plucking
Angel J. · 1 replies · 397 views