I have a problemo...

thafatchick
on 12/1/08 5:09 pm
Hello y'all.  I'm a few days shy of being 2 months post op.    Although I think I am doing well and getting healed up pretty good, I guess I sometimes over do it.  I thought I was over the napping phase but sometimes after a long day out I come home, eat and settle in and before you know it I am waking up at 1:00 am on the couch or in the big chair.  Here I am, sitting here because I fell asleep too early.  My naps are usually for hours.  I am trying to only do 1 hour naps but I can't wake up.  Anywho...

My problem is that I wake up hungry.  Sometimes I just let myself stay hungry other times I get a glass of milk and a few times, like tonight I eat something (left overs like chicken).  Tonight I finally made half a peanut butter & jelly sandwich (1 slice low carb bread).  I could only eat half of it but I am wondering if this eating at night is going to stall my weight loss.  I just can't get back to sleep with my tummy hungry/empty.

Anybody else have this little problem?  Should I still be napping at 2 months out?  How to do you get over midnight hunger?  DO you take a nap at lunch time while at work or do you tell employer you may need a 30-40 minute break for a nap? 

Also is anybody eating salad at 2 months post-op?  I just want some.

Thanks for responses.  I'm going to try to get back to sleep now, at 3:00 am.  Have a great day y'all.

ThaFatChick 
MyQnA
on 12/1/08 6:02 pm
Sorry you are not doing better.  The problem is what you are eating.  You need to fuel your body.  I would bet you aren't getting enough protein.  I suggest you contact your nutritionist or surgeon for suggestions on what you can eat.  But, that said for me I didn't touch salad until i was almost a year out.  I also had many problems being able to eat so if you are eating in the middle of the night this early out and you are eating sensible I don't think you will have a problem.  Best of luck I am not sure if that helps or not but I wish you well.

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

Dedee
on 12/2/08 12:05 am - Home Is Where, The HEART is, Midwest
Night eating is awful, but it happens to a lot of us, including me and YES if you do not eat wise, it will slow or stop the loss.

Here are a few tips:

1. Eat a high protein supper. Protein keeps you full longer.
2. Keep a bottled water right beside your bed.....sometimes, we are not hungry; just thirsty.
3. Drink a warm cup of decaf green tea right before bed.
4. If you must snack----snack healthy!  baked lean meats, or sliced deli turkey (protein)......a small apple......yogurt......something of the sort----HEALTHY.

I focus not on my disabilty; my focus is on my ABILITIES.  
(Dedee, 2009)              

My hearing impairment ENABLES me, not disables me.
(Dedee, 2008)

~Dedee   

thafatchick
on 12/2/08 2:50 am
Thanks for responding.  Those are great suggestions.  I may not be getting enough protein now that I think about it.  And a small healthy snack before bedtime would definately help keep me sleep, if I could stay up for it.  I do keep a small container of almonds in my purse for when I am out. 

The high protein meals are good but some meats are not working for me.  I mean I can eat beef but I feel stuffed and sometimes feel like I need to burp it up or get short of breath.  Not a good feeling.  I also can't eat fish because it will certainly come up.  I've tried it a few times already.  I'm stuck with chicken, cheese, beans, milk-plus and sometimes very small portions of extra tender beef.  I do have those yucky protein shots that I hate.  Tastes like cold medicine but I swallow anyway.

I am going to try all the suggestions and see if it helps. 

Thanks again and have a great day.

ThaFatChick
Dedee
on 12/2/08 5:16 am - Home Is Where, The HEART is, Midwest
Eat eggs and breakfast meats, deli meats, tuna, soft baked fish!

You have to get REALLY creative ~wink~

I focus not on my disabilty; my focus is on my ABILITIES.  
(Dedee, 2009)              

My hearing impairment ENABLES me, not disables me.
(Dedee, 2008)

~Dedee   

Its_My_Season
on 12/2/08 4:25 am - IL
Have you thought about working out in the evening? I find that doing so results in a peaceful night of continuous sleep.

I wish I could give you advice, but I'm still a pre-op.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 181 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2012 views