So...I got a date

KFA3
on 12/2/08 2:56 am - Pittsburgh, PA
So, I got my date(12/22/08) for surgery last Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It seems to have finally hit me now that it's going to happen and I'm freaking out and almost second guessing my decision. I have two main issues of contention that are killing me. The first is that I love to eat. ALOT! I love fine dining, dives, ethnic foods, you name it. Food is such a huge part of my life that I feel as though each meal since then I've been mourning a friend whom I know is about to die. My second greatest concern is that I'm a full time student in Pittsburgh and my surgeon is located outside of Philly. I had to do it this way so my health insurance would fully cover the procedure. So, what if something goes wrong, and I'm back at school? What then?

I know the benefits far outweigh the negatives, but how did any of you all overcome concerns that you had prior to going under the knife?
Jus ChanJ N ME
on 12/2/08 3:02 am
mstanyat
on 12/2/08 3:07 am
yes i had fears and doubts. I did the whole process back in 2006 and due to fear i backed out, only to reapeat it again in 2008, because I realized that not doing it was causing harm to my body, But you have to come to grips with you. If you ask what is my opinion i would say Do it, Go for it! but in the end you make the ultimate decision. The issue about school being so far away from your surgeon is a concern, but if something happens and you cant get to him quick, I'm sure theres a Hospital E.R. near. The other issue about loving to eat, I been there i love food too, still think about it everyday, but now i am thinking on a whole new level, you can still eat it just teaches you to eat in moderation and in a healthier way. Best wishes to you and your decision making...

Highest weight 302...Current weight...183
an official member of "The Onederland Club"

Tiffany G.
on 12/2/08 3:31 am
Congrats on your date!
~*Tiffany*~ my DS

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 12/2/08 3:38 am
I can tell you that your lifestyle will change and you will find other things to replace your love of food - and your relationship with food will change.  Not for the bad - just different.  You won't really miss the 'old days'.

As for possible complications - see if your surgeon can identify someone local for you to work with afterward - my new primary care is a doc that does surgical clearance for my WLS doc - doesn't hurt to ask!

good luck and congrats to you!!!!

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

LadyJwb
on 12/2/08 3:48 am - Philadelphia, PA
First off congrats...secondly your having your surgery at the best place EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! you will be treated like family (really) 3rd before surgery my hubby and the kids and I ate out at least 3times a week and I was so concerned about this. There is ALWAYS healthy choices on menus no matter where you dine ( MY FAT AZZ JUST OVER LOOKED THEM....lol) , but after WLS I really wanted to prepare my own meals because I wanted to actually know that it was not rubbed down with lard and so own..... KFA3  My fear was how was I going to eat family meals when EVERY damn thing is full of yummy grease and fatten cheese , PET milk... I just bring a dish that is healthy ( okay so I went to Whole Foods Markets a couple of time and got some healthy options to bring with me) If you truly want this  you will be a success (Darn i need to listen my self) Having worry is normal.  All the docs at The Barix have 24/7 cell phones and you will be given Dr. P number when you leave the Barix ...No Worries you will do great! Let me know if you want a walking buddy when you get to the Barix(because you will be up walking every half hour) I'll come take a stroll with yah! Best Of Luck!

LiL-Ray78
on 12/2/08 3:56 am - Pittsburgh, PA
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  The benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.  When you get back to school you have the best hospitals around you that will be able to help if needed.

BTW which school do you go to?  In at Carlow.

Its_My_Season
on 12/2/08 4:21 am - IL
Congrats on getting your date!!! Everyone is giving you great advice and you are going to do great! Just take a deep breath...you're on your way!

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/08 4:34 am - syracuse, NY
Congrats on landing the "BIG DATE "
mscleo
on 12/2/08 4:47 am - WA
Congrats

"He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise."~William Blake

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 176 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1120 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2002 views