Hi Everybody, I'm New to the board...and ladies, whats really the deal w/hair loss?

MsNicci
on 12/3/08 9:34 am
Hi Everybody,

My name is Nicci and after months of lurking, I finally decided to get my own page going. I'm pre-op for Lap RnY and am in the middle of all of the doctor's appointments, testing, etc.  On track for a date in March '09.  

One BIG HELLO to all y'all, and I look forward to getting to know you in the months/years to come.

I would also appreciate some responses from the ladies on your experiences with hair loss after surgery.  My doctor and all the ladies in support group tell me it will be fine, you dont lose that much, it all grows back, blah blah blah....but none of these folks are AA women so I dont really think they are a good point of reference. What has been your experience -- no need to sugar coat, give me the real deal.

Thanks,
MsNicci
Tiffany G.
on 12/3/08 9:40 am
Hey MsNicci!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.  I'm 5 months post op and I haven't lost any hair.  I hope I don't lose any.  I was worried about that too.  I think it is growing slower but I haven't lost any.  I just make sure I get all my protein and keep up with vitamins.  I think that's the best thing you can do.  And then, some people do all that and still lose hair, so who knows.  But it DOES grow back and girl, we are AA women and we know how to keep our hair flyy regardless...
~*Tiffany*~ my DS

ATL Diva 2009
on 12/3/08 9:45 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I lost hair I'm 7 months out. It wasn't a lot I ahve very thick coarse natural hair so noone knewexcept me as i washed handfuls of hair down the sink. But it did that from month 4-6 and now it isn't nearly as bad.  I thought I could handle it but when the clumps came out I had a fit, regained my composure and moved forward. I can stand to lose the hair as long as the weight coming off with it.

HW 299/PS 286/CT 155 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
)

Biggie Smalls
on 12/3/08 9:52 am, edited 12/3/08 9:53 am - Chocolate City, DC
Hi NICCI Welcome.

I everyone's different.  My hair began to shed BADLY at 4 months.  It still sheds but considerably less.  It's growing back now.  however, I use the Nioxin system, take 2500 MG's of biotin. It has slowed the shedding but not stopped it.  Not much you can do about it.   I've also found that the texture of my hair has changed since surgery. My hair was really really corse before surgery and required touch ups every 6 weeks.  I can now go to 8 weeks. 

With all that being said, I wouldnt trade the weight loss for going back to 335.  Shoot if it falls out completely, I cut it all off or rock a wig!!!  That's one of the benefits of being AA.  Shoot I can be bald and still be FIERCE!!!  LMAO 

I was once a mess!!  My mess is now my message!! WLS saves lives!!  I'm living proof!

Inspire
on 12/3/08 9:57 am
Welcome!  We are glad to have you join us. 
mstanyat
on 12/3/08 10:02 am
I am only 1 week post op so i have yet to expereince the hair loss. Hope I don't go through it. However I have heard alot of women use Biotin. One sista on the site told me she used it and it has helped her alot. I plan to use it before i even notice any hair loss, I figure if i use Biotion now maybe it will prevent it, or i wont lose as much.... just my theory

Highest weight 302...Current weight...183
an official member of "The Onederland Club"

GorgeousIsa
on 12/3/08 10:24 am - Philly-delphia, PA
Congrats on your upcoming surgery...I have my surgery in about 12 days and hair loss is. well was a major concern...The RN advised that even if you lose a little hair you are losing weight...take your pick...Good luck with your journey.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
mstanyat
on 12/3/08 10:28 am
That's true I would rather  lose 100lbs of fat, If i lose my hair i can always\
throw on a cute wig. Heyyyy!

Highest weight 302...Current weight...183
an official member of "The Onederland Club"

GorgeousIsa
on 12/3/08 10:33 am - Philly-delphia, PA
You never lied.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
MsNicci
on 12/3/08 10:39 am
I'd like to feel the same way, but I gotta be honest...I might have a nervous breakdown if I see my hair falling out and it doesnt grow back.  Hell, I just spent the last year and a half growing my hair out natural (dont let the pics fool ya...all I have to say about a chi iron is hallelujer).  Oh well,  I'll pray for the best and keep popping these NIOXIN vitamins...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 165 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1112 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 1989 views