Hair Loss

Dimplezzz2002
on 11/9/14 4:48 am

I have heard a lot about hair loss starting at the three month post-op mark. I am terrified, primarily because I have locs so losing my hair would be catastrophic. The people making these claims have been White or Brown. Is this a problem for African Americans as well? Has anyone with locs had this problem? Please advise.  Thanks.

TheNewT
on 11/11/14 3:26 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Hi. I'm African American, but I don't have locs. I do have natural hair though. I am on week 15. I've been keeping my hair in twists to limit manipulation.

If hair loss is going to happen it will happen. The hair follicles move into the shedding phase at one time, creating our hair loss. This is said to be due to the stress of surgery or anesthesia or quick weight loss. 

Dimplezzz2002
on 11/11/14 3:56 am

Does that mean you have not experienced hair loss? Those who have mentioned hair loss, specifically thinning, all said it occurs about 3 months post-op.

Racewalker48
on 11/13/14 11:51 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I am 9 months out and have short, natural, color treated hair.  I haven't experienced hair loss.  My surgeon warned me that it could happen, so I won't be alarmed if it does.  I don't think ethnicity makes a difference based on what I have read.  Yes, it can occur at around the 3 month mark, but does improve with time. 

TheNewT
on 11/11/14 10:25 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I haven't had the issue yet. And I hope I am one of the lucky few who make it through without losing any. But you can start losing from 3-6 months out and it can last until month 9. So I don't consider myself out of the woods until I hit month 7.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/20/14 10:50 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I haven't experienced hair loss, but I really don't do anything to my hair anyway, I just put it in 2 braids & wear a scarf, plus I wear wigs sometimes too. Hair loss is really hit or miss, hope everything turns out ok.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sor09
on 12/8/14 3:21 pm

You will loose some, but it grows back. Hair sheds and it grow back too. You don't loose chuck or like Chemo. If you maintain your protein and take your vitamins that will go a long way for your complete body health. AAH is hard to maintain since it is fragile, so extra care is needed and attention to details should help to.

kwashington09
on 12/15/14 4:48 am

I am at the 3 month mark very nervous about hair loss but so far none to report. I think its important to take your vitamins to reduce hair loss. Also since you have natural hair and its locks so you are not putting heat on it that should help to reduce the chances of your hair thinning to the point where it is really noticable.

meka33319
on 12/17/14 8:14 am

I'am African American and yes you can experience hair loss. The trick to this is to stay consistent with your vitamins I take 10,000 MG of Biotin everyday.It keeps your hair and nails healthy it also gives you energy throughout the day. You should also take your multivitamins everyday as well. I have been out 2 years it doesn't matter if you are black or white you will loose your hair if you don't take vitamins. I hope this helps

aimeebh27
on 12/30/14 5:19 pm

Well for starters I am about 5 months post op and I am losing some hair. I had to stop getting relaxers and I stopped getting my quick weaves done. I have gone natural and I had to get my hair cut. I didn't have to do a big chop but its def shorter than where it was 5 months ago. I have been told to take several different kinds of vit and im using shampoo that cancer patients use. hopefully this works

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2011 views