What were your first few weeks like?

Minadina
on 8/15/16 2:19 am

So Im about 12 days post op from my rny surgery. I just feel...lost. I'm off work for 3 weeks, and Im so unbelievably bored. First thing when I wake up I think oh god I have to get in the protein shake and chew these vitamins. My stomach rebels in protest. Then I have to go walk, which does nothing to ease my stress or clear my mind. Life is like one big chore right now. Protein, vitamins, fluids, exercise. And in between Im just feeling disgusted. Luckily I have had no complications from surgery. All my outer wounds have healed. My liquids go down, as well as pills, no major pain. Im not going to say Im regretting surgery. But i do wonder if my life is nothing but one big chore now.

bruindiva92
on 8/15/16 10:21 am
Revision on 03/29/17

YES, at 12 days post op, life is repetitive.  I took 6 weeks off from work to make sure I was ready for my fast past desk job upon my return.  But, for now, this is your new full time job!

Vitamins were tough on me too so I found the soft chewables by Bariatric Choice--these are expensive but didn't make me gag.  I followed my plan to a tee and walked every 2 hours.  I drank Premier Protein shakes and Crystal Light because I could not and still cannot drink plain water.

There is no reason for stress--take one day at a time.  I know it is difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Life will get so much better. When your plan allows for foods, you will feel better.  

Take time now to plan your meals when you return to work.  What will you be able to eat?  Start your grocery list and plan to take your breakfast, lunch and snacks to work. Do you have a thermos or water bottle for work? Are you logging your food daily?

I am 17 months out and I still plan my meals, take all meals and snacks to work and log my food on my fitness pall--and it is still repetitive and sometimes boring!

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 4:57 pm

You need the time off. I went back to work to soon, about 2 1/2 weeks later, and I was really tired and worn down for at least a few more weeks.

shaah2000
on 10/10/16 9:10 am - NJ

The first few weeks are pure hell.  It DOES get better!! The new experiences make it all worth it.  The mind game you play with yourself with take getting used to.  You wont see yourself as getting smaller and will try to continue buying bigger clothes, you will get the hang of it.  You will break down and cry sometimes because you are just overwhelmed with how great you feel and look.  You may or may not have to drop some "friends."  People get a little funny acting when you drop a nice amount of weight and you start feeling good about yourself. The energy you have will feel good...but there is a price down the road.  Don't fall back into any old habits or think oh a lil sip or bite here wont hurt.  That little bite and sip can and will turn into a monster and grow and you will start to see the weight slowly but surely creep back.  Nip it in the bud ASAP and yes exercise does become your BFF.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 180 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2011 views