MyTime2Change’s Posts

MyTime2Change
on 8/9/16 2:36 pm
Topic: RE: New member

I appreciate the encouraging words! I will look for that page on Facebook today, lol. I'm ready to feel more energized and to stop holding myself back from things. I wish I had made this decision before now, but better late than never!  Thank you so much for the encouragement. 

MyTime2Change
on 8/9/16 2:32 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am ready to make a change, and grateful to learn whatever I can. I will definitely be reaching out. :)

MyTime2Change
on 8/2/16 8:52 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to Obesity Help and wanted to greet everyone. I have reviewed several of your posts and have already found helpful information in them; thank you for sharing your experiences. 

I'm a married mother of five and I have been dealing with my weight for quite some time, but the last 10-15 years have been the most challenging. I have decided after much research and much procrastination to take action to take charge of my health and my life. I have decided to pursue self-pay gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, and hope to get it done this fall, God willing. 

A lot of what has prevented me from seeking the surgery all these years was denial. I felt that if I just I applied myself I could "do it on my own without surgery." I maintained that state of mind for years, yet nothing changed in my life. I've since realized how much I have been gaslighting myself. There is NO shame in seeking help for this condition. I slowly came to this realization once it began to dawn upon me how much better I was getting as a person by treating my depression and other issues and how I would be concerned if a person with a psychiatric disability/mental illness was determined to "do it on my own." Should we take initiative and be an active part of the process? Yes. But we cannot let a mindset like that reign if it prevents the process from even getting started!

Nothing will change unless we make it change.

I welcome any/all feedback from you all, as I personally know no one whose ever had the gastric sleeve; only the bypass and lap band. And I seldom hear much from our people - not that we aren't having the surgery, but I have mainly come across posts from white people as opposed to people of color. I'm not discounting their perspectives, but as a black woman it's helpful to me to know more about what other people from my background have experienced. 

Thank you. 

MyTime2Change
on 8/2/16 6:49 am
Topic: RE: Newbie

Hi Jazzygirl,

I would love to communicate with you if possible. I am very interested in getting the gastic sleeve in Mexico too, as I also have to go the self-pay route. I lived in San Diego for over five years (but that was a decade ago), so I'm familiar with Tijuana. But I have so many questions about what to expect pre and post procedure, and I worry how long I would need to be "out" on leave since I am very new to my job and don't want to have any issues with them. Is it unrealistic to expect to be back at work in a week? (I teach at a college, so no heavy lifting, but I do have to engage with people quite a bit.)

Congrats on your surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 177 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1122 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2004 views