Why am i gaining still????????

eeyorenut31303
on 7/20/08 3:07 am - St. Nazianz, WI
Hello all

I know that I am posting about this again but I am just so pist, sad, mad everything.  I had surgery 6/23.  I lost a lot of weight to begin with now I am gaining I went from 391.0 to 401.8 in about 5 days.  I am able to eat now not a ton but at least food it depends on what I eat depends on how much i can eat.  So why am i gaining so much and so fast I don't understand?  Is this normal? or am i failing.  I just can't seem to wrap my head around why i am gaining.  Is this normal?  I can handle a stall but I am have a real hard time with the gaining!!! 

Thank you for letting me vent

Kelly

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 3:33 am - San Antonio, TX
Are you drinking enough?  If you aren't, your body will hold on to water like there's no tomorrow!  What about going to the bathroom?  Are you, ahem, clogged, so to speak? 

Are you weighing at the same time of day?  I gain 5lbs throughout the day every single day so I always weigh in the morning. 

Did you eat something salty?  Are your fingers and ankles swollen?  Did you change medications?  All of these things can contribute to a temporary weight gain.  I gained 7lbs when I started new birth control last month.  Is it almost your time of the month?  A lot of people put on a couple of lbs right before that. 

I wouldn't stress too much yet, but if you continue gaining so quickly I'd talk to your doc to see why - most likely its fluid but if you continue retaining a lot of fluid it MIGHT be indicative of another health issue.  In the meantime, drink drink drink.  Walk walk walk -  moving your body helps to get rid of excess fluid.  And if you are constipated, try some miralax and/or stool softeners or whatever other safe gentle solution you wish to use. 

Watch the salt too! 

Hugs
Jenn
NewDayComing
on 7/20/08 11:57 am - MN
Hang in there.  These first few weeks are difficult and I'm trusting others who say that it gets much better 4-6 months out.  A 10 pound weight gain seems a bit unusual out of context, but Jenn mentioned several reasons why it could be different.  My weight fluctuates SO much over the course of a day.  Keep a food journal, make sure that you're getting enough water, and I would call your nutritionist for a quick phone chat.  I doubt that you are doing anything wrong, but it may help calm those "head wars" that you're probably having about the whole situation.

Keep venting as needed!
"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground" - T. Roosevelt

Most Active