My 1 yr post op yesterday...

atia
on 4/11/14 1:33 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi Everyone,

I was 1 yr post op yesterday, 4/10, and also had my follow up appt with surgeon and RD.  I posted a pic on my profile cuz I don't know how to put it on a msg...it doesn't work for me.   Anyways, you can look at my profile and pls let me know what you think.  Im getting some comments and they are not making me feel good.  Im not conflicted exactly just feeling a little down.  Im not looking for just positives lol but truth.  I know you guys get it.

Please let me know.  Its the pic with 3 pics, day of sur, 6mos and then 1 yr out.  Im still losing so im not done.

Thanks,

tia

Susan M.
on 4/12/14 1:42 am

How are they not making you feel good?  What sort of comments? 

I'm not nearly as far down as you but while I've been feeling better about how I look and feel, I've also been feeling seriously frumpy.  I think it's down to a very limited wardrobe and my hair.

I've been thinking I need to go pamper myself with a day to the hairdresser and a movie or something.

a new hair cut always makes me feel better.

maybe all you need is a 'you' day?

TheDeathStar
on 4/12/14 1:08 pm
VSG on 10/29/13

THIS! Absolutely! I went and got my hair chopped off a few months ago. It felt amazing! Then, I went out and bought a pair of size 28 jeans last weekend. I'm down from a tight size 32 to a normal-fitting size 28. I know it's not smart to buy lots of clothes while losing weight, but I had to get some pants that weren't falling off of me, and I feel AMAZING for it. 

In short, 

TREAT YO SELF!

TREAT YO SELF!

deniseselah
on 4/16/14 11:52 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

I just googled this.

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

TheDeathStar
on 4/12/14 1:05 pm
VSG on 10/29/13

Oh. My. God. LOOK AT YOU! You look amazing! You worked so hard, and you've come so far! You deserve to feel as amazing as all the hard work you've done! Additionally, I love the tattoos!

atia
on 4/12/14 6:19 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Thank you ALL!!!

I was getting a lot of comments from some of my dearest gals, over 30 years together and from others whom are very dear to me and I respect very much.  Comments like youre too thin, youre looking sickly, you need to stop losing wt. and was even told I needed to gain 20lbs back by one of my dearest male friends.  It hurt me badly.  I never thought id be one to hear these things and definitely not from my closest friends.  Mind you im 5'8 and 173 as of last week.  Im not thin but yes smaller than I was at 350.  It just hit me so hard. 

I think I am going to take a day this week before I get released back to work and just do me.  Its funny, we went looking for clothes tonight as I have one pair of jeans that fits and nothing for summer.  I was looking for dress pants too.  I have to admit I was looking clearance but I found every size over and below mine in pants at all the stores we went to.  I found 6, 10, 12, 14, 4 etc...not one 8 in any store.  I think im going to take Monday after my Drs appt and hit my fav thrift stores and a couple of clothing stores by myself and concentrate on me. 

I feel like ive come too far to allow anybody tell me that I need to stop.  People just don't realize how difficult it can be to do this, to  lose weight and keep it off, to not return to crappy eating etc.  Im just going to do ME.

Thank you all again.  It really means a lot to me.  My ink lol, 19 tats and none of them have moved...thankfully walking and weights has helped with that.

tia  

cappy11448
on 4/13/14 10:32 pm

You are looking great.  What an achievement losing over 170 pounds in a year.  I love your pictures. 

I'm almost a year out with a similar weight loss, and I also feel a little sad.  So I can relate to your feelings.  The obesity was such a big presence in my life, and now its done.  The weight loss process has been the major purpose of my life for the past 15 months, and now I need to refocus my energy.  Its a loss - even if its something I've wanted for decades.  Its a change. 

But I think these feelings are normal, and its just something we need to move thru as we put one phase of life behind us and move on to new challenges and discoveries.

Congratulations on your one year surgiversary, and on your success!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

zra
on 4/14/14 1:36 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

Congratulations! You look fantastic, and that's the truth. I think sometimes our friends have a hard time seeing us change because they are so used to seeing us a certain way. You need to wind up where you look and feel best, and ignore what other people think. I think picking up some new outfit options to boost your esteem is a great idea. You've earned it!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

atia
on 4/15/14 4:43 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Thank you both! 

Im trying the outfit thing again tomorrow.  I find myself at such a loss with stores.  My daughter/fiancée are taking me to Old Navy tomorrow eve tho after my Drs appt Im going to run into Cato and check their clearance rack lol.  I cant see spending 33. on jeans if I may still shrink out of them with the last 13lbs.  Yes, ive decided Im not allowing what my friends think or have said to influence me.  This journey has been mine alone pretty much and im going to do it my way.  So, to MY goal I go.  Tomorrow is also half price day at one of the huge salvation army thrifts so Im going to check it out.  Another friend told me about it so i'll be out and about.  Maybe that and looking for me will help me feel better. 

Ive been thinking about maint C and I don't know how much different it will be for me...It scares me...well regain does. Ive been saying i'll lose this last and then worry about it lol...maybe get a bonus in there.  Im not cleared for full exercise yet so im wondering if going below isn't a better idea.  I just don't know.  This has really been my focus for the last year.  I spose we need to keep it in the forefront of our brains but find a new focus.  Oh Lord, maybe I really will take up my dreams of jogging and bicycling.  Maybe i'll even grow to enjoy yard work...tho im not counting on that one lol.

Thank you ladies,

I needed this.

tia

deniseselah
on 4/16/14 7:26 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

Tia - I am new to the BMI 50+ boards ... but I don't think you look "sickly" AT ALL. YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really you do.

You have done a phenomenal amount of work and you should be SO PROUD!!! Maybe your friends are still adjusting too?

Enjoy your shopping and yes "DO YOU" :) :) and look forward to your dream of riding a bike - one of my dreams too!

Peace to you. All the best ... :)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

Most Active