Has anyone else been on Adipex?

arkloser
on 7/11/14 12:36 pm

When I saw my doctor about 1 month ago, I weighed in at 305 pounds and I'm 5'0" tall, He decided to put me on Adipex.  This morning I weighed myself and I was at 293 and quite happy since I haven't had much luck with anything else.  I don't feel hungry as much on Adipex and I am usually up until 3 a.m. now vs. midnight before, those have been the only side effects.  Has anyone else had success with Adipex or had other side effects?  Is it possible to lose 100+ pounds on Adipex?

Laura in Texas
on 7/11/14 10:23 pm

I was on it years ago and did lose a lot, but like so many other "diets" I was on, I gained it all back when I stopped taking the medication.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LeapSecond
on 7/12/14 7:42 am - AR

I was on adipex years ago and lost 70 lbs.  the effectiveness is short lived and I did regain all plus some after I quit taking it.  In some old PDRs there was a listed side effect of decreased synovial fluid but it is not in the new ones.  I do have increased back pain if I take it more than just a few days.  

smk920
on 7/22/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 05/06/14

Ethical doctors won't keep you on it more than 6 months. One reason is that is just stops suppressing your appetite with prolonged use. Also, it can increase you BP. It is a great tool to kick start weight loss. Unfortunately, I gained back all 50 lbs plus 25. I wish you better luck!

44 y/o f 5'5" HW:330 consult:322 SW:285 CW:248 goal:14O

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/14 2:30 am

Are you considering weight loss surgery or are you hoping to lose the weight with the help of adipex?

Please research all your options. Do not beat yourself up for not being able to do it without surgery. If surgery is the best choice for you, then do it. I know surgery is not for everyone, but it gave me my life back. I know or me, I needed surgery.

Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

KaylaSue22
on 9/3/14 11:27 am
RNY on 10/13/14

I was on Adipex a little over two years ago.  I lost 94 in six months! But when the medication stopped working it all came back on quickly! You are welcome to message me with any other questions about it!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/3/14 12:46 pm - OH

The long-term success statistics for Adipex are abysmal.  It amazes me that any doctor on the face of the planet still prescribes it since the rates of regain are identical to those of people who lose weight via any other non-surgical method: 90-95% of people will regain over 75% of the weight within 2-3 years (specific numbers vary a bit by study).

i have not personally tried it because when I tried another amphetamine-like appetite suppressant in the late 80s, it made me WAY too jittery and I was having major trouble sleeping, so I felt like complete crap. Everyone I know personally who has taken it has regained the weight they lost in less than a year.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active