500 pounds what can I expct?

Jason W.
on 11/20/14 5:15 pm - Ione, CA

I am 515 pounds, (I was 496 last month but seem to have hit a downward spiral lately with food!)

My question is what can i realistically expect in the way of weight lose in the first 6 months? I have horrible issues with neuropathy in my feet and legs. I have a hard time walking more than a block now. I cannot standup unsupported for more than a few minutes at best. How much of this will 'change' in the first few months and how much should I realistically expect to be able to push myself?

I have felt like I have been dead for years, not part of life in any way. Self concussion about my size; 'no woman would ever want a fat man.' or 'people are always pitying me or think I am weak and stupid.' These are typical thoughts I have which have driven me to isolate myself from the world. I do not want to be dead any more. I want to get back on my feet and live again ASAP. So i curious how much weight does one lose and how fast?

indybuttercup
on 11/20/14 5:30 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Jason I was 550 and lost 50 lbs in 30 days. My health issues went away and I lost 150 in the first 3 months. My Dr pushed me. She said people over 500 were called super sized and we lost weight quicker, because we had more to loose. It has been great. 7 Years later I do my own shopping again. I can walk more than 5 minutes and breathe. Look at my page and message me with any questions. Welcome to the bench:)

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/14 11:50 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

I just locked at your page. WOW YOU LOOK OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! great job!

indybuttercup
on 11/22/14 11:59 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Thank you! I feel even better believe me! I can walk for hours now.

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/14 12:05 am
VSG on 03/26/14

It is amazing at how much better the body feels after losing this much weight!!!! I am proud of you!!!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/14 10:40 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I started at 344 pounds.  Ten and half months later, I am 180 pounds.  I haven't just depended on the surgery but I have completely changed my relationship with food and I now exercise at least 5 days a week.  

My life has dramatically changed.  I went from being an insulin dependent diabetic with high blood pressure, the start of neuropathy in my feet, a resting pulse of 119 and sleep apnea to no meds (other than vitamins), low blood pressure, no neuropathy, a resting pulse of 61 and no apnea in less than 4 months.  Additionally, I used to get out of breath and sweaty walking through the grocery store.  I can now run a 3K.  But more than that, I can fit in booths, fly in a plane (without buying two seats), ride roller coasters, and wipe my damn butt.  You can do this my friend!  

The good news for you is that men almost always lose faster than women.  Also, the more you have to lose, the faster the initial loss is, too.  You are certainly not dead.  You are a living and valuable person.  You aren't weak, stupid or ugly -- or whatever other mean things you are telling yourself inside your head.  STOP.  You have a medical condition and my friend, you can cure it.  It takes time and effort, but you can do it.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sechax0r
on 11/20/14 11:24 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

When I started my WLS journey I was 537lbs. I was also very lucky that I could walk without too much issue and stand for a while. The doctor put me on an immediate liquid diet, 70-90 grams of protein, and 30-50 carbs per day. That was on September 10th. I had surgery on November 3rd and was down 64lbs pre-op. As of today I am down a total of 82lbs (17 days post op). I am walking twice per day (usually a 1/2 mile- 1 mile per walk) and I feel great. Everything is easier.  My doctor thinks I will be in the "3's" by the beginning of the year. So yes, you can lose weight rapidly! It won't be easy but it will be worth it.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/14 11:53 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

You are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica B.
on 11/22/14 1:00 pm

Hi. I haven't had surgery yet, but I definitely understand the isolation. I feel like for 25 years I've been living for everyone else and it feels amazing to tell someone I am doing this because I want to live. I deserve to live and so do you! A nut told me once, "Put everything you have into doing this for you and do your very best!" You can do this and so can I. Good blessings!

Jessica

Patty T.
on 11/23/14 6:00 am - Boalsburg, PA

Hi Jason! I also have some neuropathy in my feet and my left ankle is a crumbling mess, not to mention my knees. So I know that walking is HARD! Sometimes, by 5pm I feel like I'm lurching around grabbing furniture to stay upright. But it's better earlier in the day, so I try to run errands when I can. Shopping carts make great walkers and I have the added benefit of a limited amount of buying enticement because I can't do it for long - LOL!

Best of luck to you. We're on the same track. 

Most Active