Life Insurance Question

InTransition
on 1/26/15 11:29 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

Hey All.  This is my first time posting in this group. 

My BMI prior to surgery was 55, and I have been rejected out of hand for all life insurance I have applied for in the last several years, based on my "height/weight ratio".  I assume they are converting that to BMI for the rejection.

Do any of you have life insurance you pay for yourself (not provided by employer)?  If so, may I ask through which insurer, and did you have to do a physical or anything to get it?

Thanks!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/27/15 6:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My life insurance is through William Penn. I did have to have a physical but I got it when my BMI was 57.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Mary Gee
on 2/1/15 3:25 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I'm going to apply for insurance soon, and expect to have to get the "you cannot be turned down" policy. No health exam or medical questions - but if you die within two years, the only payment is return of premium paid, plus 10%. I made a big mistake because when I left my old job where I had good coverage, I had the option of continuing with the same coverage, with no exam or questions - but I was in a tough position and could not do it. If you have that option, go for it. Otherwise, you will regret it!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/22/15 1:22 am - OH

Yes, they are basing it on your BMI, and because of the high mortality rate for the Super Morbidly Obese, getting life insurance is very difficult, even with a physical exam.

What is your current BMI, though, and how far out of surgery are you?  Most people find that once they get to a more reasonable weight and get beyond the time period restrictions (usually 3 -5 years) they are able to get life insurance. Until then, your best bet is one of the (more expensive) no exam, limited benefits policies they advertise on tv.  My best friend who is unemployed did a Google search for "no physical exam life insurance" and found her policy that way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active