Pre-surgery diet, WORRIED!

trsinhawaii
on 2/3/15 2:50 pm

I am starting my pre-surgery diet tomorrow.  I have to be on it for 28 days.  My gastric bypass is scheduled for March 4th.  I am sorta freaking out this evening about starting the Optifast tomorrow.  Anyone else have to do the Optifast for this long of a period before surgery?  Tonight I have just wanted to eat, eat, eat, because I know what is coming starting in the morning.  I am also wondering how fast I can lose weight with the Optifast.  I have to be four pounds lighter by the 13th of Feb.  I am also freaking out about that.  BUT I have been good today.  Didn't eat, eat, eat.  Just wanted to.  Any suggestions would be awesome!

Lucky2talk2
on 2/4/15 6:14 pm - Renton, WA
Know you are worth every effort! It is not easy, but so rewarding! you can do this!!
Have a plan... Stay busy!! Keep away from the food be else where. Have alternatives! Spoil yourself with other things... To keep yourself busy. Reflect and think why and what about food gives you those feelings. Know that the food will be there later on and with retraining yourself you will have success!! Change is easy and hard.

Your feelings.. Anxieties.. And all are normal. Your giving up a lot for an even greater reward!!!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

trsinhawaii
on 2/7/15 3:10 pm

Thanks so much, and you are so right!  I started the diet successfully, have not cheated, not even once, YAY!  My hardest time is smelling food.  I excused myself from making dinner at home the first night.  Supportive peeps around here, gotta love them.  Now, I am having a hard time even making it through the six products a day that I am suppose to eat.  My appetite is not even there.  Had an emotional day today, just wanted to cry and cry, but never even wanted to turn to food for comfort.

apkat
on 2/5/15 1:08 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I only had to do 2 weeks of liquid diet but I have seen several longer plans on here.  You can do it!  I know it is hard...I was used to eating out every day...sometimes twice a day.  Then I'd go home and have another meal and snac****il midnight.  So, if I could handle it, I bet you can to.  Resisting that 'goodbye for now food' farewell tour was really hard but stay strong.  Have gum and some (not too many available readily) small sugar free candies on hand for those 'munchy urges' and be sure you keep a water bottle nearby.  I also found that drinking diet sodas triggered me to want to eat so I avoided those (still do after surgery as well) and it seemed to help.  Every bite you resist, every day you go without cheating is a victory.  Good luck!

trsinhawaii
on 2/7/15 3:14 pm

I have steered away from the sugar free candies, they make me want to eat more.  Thanks so much, I am glad I found this place, so supportive!  Soda, I really gave that up a little while ago.  Not too much into it.  My hardest thing I am trying to give up is coffee.  So hard to give that up.  Thanks for the well wishes!  

shakeitoff
on 2/5/15 1:22 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I pick up my Prot-Diet products February 9.  No more regular food as I call it.  Unless you call SF jello regular food.  I have to be on this until my surgery date March 9th.  I am having sleeve surgery.  I am worried to but I have learned different things to occupy my time.  I walk when the weather allowes it ( I live in Ohio).  I have been taking classes to learn to crochet it keeps my mind and hands busy.  I recenlty signed up for a make it take it painting class.  Anything to fill my time and keep me occupied.  I also have a few Walk away the pounds DVDs. Staying busy and not dwelling on it helps.  My Dr. also has me on Adipex which control my appetite.  I doubt you will have any problems losing the 4 pounds.  Just follow the instructions you were given and keep moving.  I lost weight the fastest when I was able to walk 30 minutes a day. 

trsinhawaii
on 2/7/15 3:19 pm

I wish you good luck in starting your pre-diet!  I know you hear it a lot, but really, I am on the third day now and having issues finishing the products that I am suppose to.  I really have hardly no appetite.  I am trying to occupy my time with different things, also.  So far, I think I have lost the four pounds, I will weigh again in the morning.  Thanks for the support!  I hope everything goes good for you when you start your diet, sounds like you are well on your way!  Yay!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/5/15 10:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Best of luck to you! I also had to do a month of liquids b4 my surgery. The first couple of days was kinda rough but eventually you develop a routine.I didn't have to do optifast thankfully. Definitely try to keep busy, if anything go out for a walk if you can, or watch a marathon of shows with no commercials. Get rid of the stuff you can't have, get it out the house, or hide them out of sight. You can do it! Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

trsinhawaii
on 2/7/15 3:23 pm

Thank you!  This Optifast, well, some good, some bad.  Chicken soup needs some help, my nutritionist told me to add one half cup low sodium chicken broth, only once a day.  I tried that this evening and it made it much better.  I am past the first couple of days now and I am trying to develop this routine thing you speak of. :)  Good thing is, my appetite is not as bad.  I am not having as much anxiety but just emotional, but I am sure that gets better.  Can't wait for better health!

Laura in Texas
on 2/7/15 11:10 pm

Hang in there. You can do it!!

I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-RNY and I must say it was the worst part of the entire process. Even worse that the surgery and recovery afterwards. But I got through it and so can you. Keep focusing on your healthy future!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active