Is this really normal?

trsinhawaii
on 3/13/15 6:08 pm

So, I had my surgery on the 4th.  WHOO HOO, I made it!  Made it out of the hospital alive and not in too much pain.  Oh after the surgery, I believe that I was probably in the most pain I have ever been in during my life.  Seriously, and I have had two children.  But the good thing about that is after coming home, I have only had to take the pain medication they gave me once a day.  And I don't think I will be taking it tomorrow.  No more need, really.  I haven't really suffered from any severe nausea, either.  For this, I am very thankful.  I was up and walking the night of my surgery, actually wanted up at 2a.m. just so I could stroll around the place.  Oh my goodness, the gas pain.  And then, to top it off, when you think it is just gas...well, nope.  I now regularly go to the bathroom just to pass gas, just in case.  

So far, my biggest complication is I do not want to eat or drink anything.  Nothing.  Nothing tastes good, nothing smells good, and I am starting to get worried about it.  It actually depressed me.  I want to cry a lot.  So, I called my nutritionist and she gave me some ideas, of which I tried.  Some worked a little bit.  I didnt really think it worked enough, so I called the doctor and went straight to her today.  She is not the surgeon, she is the doc that works with the surgeon on follow up appointments.  She was super good today, said that what I am going through is normal.  She thinks that next week will be better because I can start the soft diet where I can take in more variety of things.  For now, I am forcing myself to drink water and stomach as much of the protein shakes as I can.  And sadly, I am only at about 30 grams a day at this time because it is just.so.nasty.  I made an early appointment with my surgeon for a week from today, was suppose to be in two weeks.  I really hope they are right, I really hope that when I can add the cottage cheese and stuff like that, that I will get better.

So, has anyone else had this experience, is it normal, how did you deal with it, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  I am getting in about 48 ounces of water a day with two protein shakes.  And that is it.  Nothing more.  I really have thought "What did I do to myself?"

karasmom
on 3/13/15 9:25 pm

Oh how I feel your frustration!!  I am almost 9 weeks out and am still struggling with that.  I do well to get 48 oz of water in and probably average only about 40g of protein a day.  I just can't do the shakes anymore!!  I have no appetite whatsoever and food just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  I am going for my first follow up on Mar. 27 and will be interested to hear what they have to say.  The lack of fluids and protein (I average about 400-500 calories per day) is leaving me exhausted.

KimNC
on 3/13/15 9:43 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes! I was the same way. I am now almost 7 weeks out from surgery, have lost 65 lbs, now have a severe flare up of gout which I never had before, and I was and still am at times struggling to get my protein and water in. Just yesterday a friend was saying that I should be getting in 100 grams of protein in. I am lucky if I can get half of that in me. I have cried often and said, "What did I do to myself?" more times than I can count. Thankfully I have a great support system in my husband who continues to try to cook things for me even if I only take one bite and cannot stomach anymore of it and who keeps reminding me that 6 months from now I won't feel like I do now.

I also got sick of protein shakes to the point it just started coming back up again. However, Atkins protein shakes- 15 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar helped me those first few weeks. Refried beans I do great with, the same with peanut butter. Those are my go-to meals to get my protein in me. I also have found that I love Dannon Greek Yogurt (love the cherry, strawberry, strawberry cheesecake and blueberry) and there is a high protein granola that I put in it for texture. But with all of those things, it might just be a spoonful each hour.

My 3rd week, I also added in shrimp. Only 2, and we sauteed them in a pan sprayed with Pam. Took small, tiny bites, and it took me about 20-30 mins to eat those 2.

Hang in there!!!

Laura in Texas
on 3/13/15 11:58 pm

Lots of people go through the same thing in the beginning. Have you tried a kiddie cup with a lid so you do not smell the protein shake as much? That works for some people. I forced myself to drink 4 shakes a day in the beginning. It was not easy, but I knew I needed the nutrition for my body to heal. After a few months my taste buds went back to normal. Hang in there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NYMom222
on 3/14/15 9:15 am
RNY on 07/23/14

The fluids are important, having too little will make your recovery slower, and could make you dehydrated. Change up the flavors. For me at about 5 weeks I couldn't stomach the protein shakes, then I discovered the coffee flavored ones, Click and Fit Frappe... they got my through. Syntrax has a lot non-chocolate and vanilla flavors like ice tea or lemonade. You can buy samples. Flavor the ones you have, add SF Torani or daVinci syrup. The ready made premier protein is easier sometimes because it is not thick. I add a squirt of SF Chocolate syrup to it and a little instant coffee. Mocha. I use an unflavored called Genepro, I buy on Amazon. You can mix it directly into hot so you could put it in your chicken broth. When I've been on a liquid diet, I buy chicken broth from the Chinese restaurant. Just tastes different. Quart of chicken broth with nothing in it. Don't focus on calories... get the fluid in, get the protein in...they are both very important for healing. Keep pushing through. You can do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Linda L.
on 3/15/15 12:47 am
RNY on 02/17/15

I am experiencing the same think w lack of interest in food. The thought of eating makes me nauseous. Greek yogurt for breakfast. 1 egg scrambled. Love my egg!  I'm told it passes. I had my surgery 2/17 so I'm almost 1 month out. I also have a heightened sense of smel...odd...

Lucky2talk2
on 3/17/15 5:22 pm - Renton, WA
TOTALLY NORMAL!!
You can be creative. Do you have plain protien powder? Buy small amount of different ones. Some people like shakes. I did not. I liked mine in hot drinks, I used plain. The trick is adding it to luke warm (what fluid) and after it is dissolved adding it to the rest of the hot liquid. Experiment, experiment.... And experiment! I use Bio-Plex plain (yes, still 4 1/2 yes out from surgery, although not near as much).
Hang in there, it will take time to adjust. You had a major change and try not to be discouraged. It will all get better. When you get to soft foods it will feel better! Your tastes changing is NORMAL!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

Ruth S.
on 3/19/15 10:05 am - Orlando, FL

There are going to be HUNDREDS of things that will seem out of sink and not normal but will be as your body adjust to the new (inside) of you.   If you notice anything extra ordinary always check with your doctor's office first before asking anyone else's opinion.  And welcome..get ready for a bumpy ride!!!

Ruth S.
ABair
on 3/20/15 2:30 am
VSG on 01/14/15

I think foods taste different, but now I just stick with the things I like.  Regarding your protein shakes try the Pure Protein shakes I purchased them on Amazon.  I didn't like the powdered mix protein, these come in a pre mixed can and I really like them.  They have a few different flavors and I like them all the Chocolate, vanilla, and banana are my favorites.  It gets better just stick with it!

Lisa 

Kiwideb
on 4/5/15 4:51 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I found, and even now at 2.5mths out the temp of liquids makes a different. Sugar free Oregan chai with almond milk has been my savior. If I can get 2-4 cups of that in (originally with reg milk which meant protien) I've half way met my allowance for the day.

I also found swapping to using a camelback bottle with the sippy end helps me get much more water in. Less gag factor I believe since a mouthful of water is much less than through a bottle mouth.

Most Active