New Member - Surgery in less than 3 weeks

csharky
on 4/9/15 1:58 am
VSG on 04/28/15

Hi All.  I'm 40 years old with a BMI of 58 with sleep apnea and high blood pressure.  I'm having the VSG on April 28.  I previously tried having it back in 2010 but at that point in time my insurance wouldn't cover it due to it being considered "experimental" at the time.  Over the past 5 years I've yo-yoed between 360-410 generally staying in the 390 range.  I have done lots of research and know the procedure is relatively safe but I am still scared.  Even though I am extremely overweight and have the 2 mentioned conditions, I am still in relatively good health - able to walk, do yard work, etc.  I am scared about the anesthesia.  When I was 8 or 10 and a "normal" weight at that time, I had general and I remember the Dr telling my parents that they had a "hard time" waking me.  I know anasthesia has come a long way since then and I told my Dr this and he looked in my mouth and didn't think there'd be a problem.  Anyone else have this experience?  Also dealing with my parents being scared about the surgery and transferring their fears onto me.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/11/15 1:50 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Welcome to the forum! It's pretty normal to be a little scared b4 surgery, but just think it's scarier to have the conditions you've described. The stop breathing thing when no one is around would kinda freak me out a little. At least in the hospital you'll have a team of professionals to help you.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, will save a spot on the losers bench for you!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rturnage
on 4/13/15 12:03 am - Maumee, OH

Hello there,

My BMI is 84.7 and I have sleep apnea, too.  It is hard to deal with family members' and friends' feelings about surgery.  After all these years of me talking about surgery, my best friend thought they made the sleeve and sucked out a bunch of fat! haha  If only, right?  

Anesthesia always scared me, too.  I had my gall bladder out in 1999, and I was terrified at the thought of going under. I was around 300 lbs at that time. After all my anxiety, it is was oddly very simple.  It was just falling asleep and then waking up again.  

I'd love it if you kept me (us) posted on your progress.  I am hoping to get sleeved in June or July and I'd love to see how it goes for you. 

HW 560 CW 525  Hoping to get sleeved in June 2015. Psych eval is on 4/20.

csharky
on 4/13/15 3:21 am
VSG on 04/28/15

Thanks for the positive vibes.  Went to Costco yesterday and loaded up on high protein foods and drinks for after.  I am looking forward to getting on the losers bench and I may or may not get off the CPAP machine but, at least I will be much healthier and able to do the things I want to but could not (ie ride my bike).  One of the main reasons I'm doing this surgery is to be able to be around for my child (she's special needs and will probably require care the rest of her life) for as long as I can.  Hence the fear of anesthesia potentially cutting that short.  But, enough negative thoughts.  Time to stay positive.  2 weeks from tomorrow.  Pre-op on Friday.

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:25 am - Maumee, OH

My best friend's daughter has cerebral palsy, and she will need care for the rest of her life as well.  I have seen how much effort goes into caring for a special need's child.  You know I don't even really mind the CPAP machine.  I find that putting on the mask relaxes me.  Definitely stay positive!  There are so many wonderful stories here to be inspired by!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/15/15 10:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My BMI started very close to yours -- 57.  I had insulin dependent diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fatty liver and high triglycerides. Still, I was mobile (although often out of breath and sweaty) and worked full time and took care of my family.  I too was terrified of not waking up.

Although I didn't have the VSG but the RNY -- I will let you know that not only did I wake up -- my life has awakened more too.  Now, at 187 pounds lighter (26 BMI and still losing) not only can I walk but I often run two or more miles at a time.  I no longer have any of the co-morbidities including sleep apnea.  In fact, I am so quiet when I sleep, that my husband has actually shaken me to make sure I wasn't dead!  

I know that the weeks before surgery are very very frightening, but I am certain that you will not only wake up from surgery, but that you are likely to wake up to a brand new life, too. 

Wishing you the very best ahead!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

csharky
on 4/20/15 4:56 am
VSG on 04/28/15

Thanks.  Getting closer to the date and as I am, I'm looking forward to it.  A little more scared of what life will be like for the first 2 months after but I am confident I can make the changes I need to and use the smaller stomach to my advantage.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/15 5:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Of course you can!!  The first two months are a lot of learning -- but it goes by so quickly.  I would do this every year for the rest of my life to reap the benefits I have had since surgery.  It's that worth it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 12:51 pm - OH

Ditto!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 1:00 pm - OH

Many, many people are afraid of undergoing anesthesia, so that is completely normal.  I am sure your surgeon has already told you -- or you have read -- that your weight puts you at greater risk for surgical complications (so that might make you even more nervous), but even for those of us who have very high BMIs, it is extremely rare for someone to die or have a "close call" during surgery. Most who do so already had a known condition (frequently a heart condition), but needed the surgery to try to keep them alive because their weight and their medical condition were endangering their lives anyway.

Perhaps it would help you to tell your surgeon about your nervousness and ask what his/her complication rate during surgery is... So you can get reassurance about how low the chances really are.

Sometimes when they have a hard time "waking" someone after surgery, it is simply because they gave them a bit more anesthesia than they really needed to or because some people are a little more sensitive to it.  That doesn't mean that you were at risk for dying during that surgery as a child... It just means that you didn't wake up exactly as they expected you to.

It is natural for people who love you to be frightened.  Try to reassure them that statistically, it is a very safe procedure, and if you need to, just be honest with the, and let them know that THEIR fears are causing YOU anxiety and you don't need that.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active