My hair is falling out!

Linda L.
on 5/9/15 9:40 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Ok so they said it would happen. But nothing really prepares you for the hair falling out part. At least not for me. My hair is shoulder length and it is everywhere! My pets are dealing with my shedding...lol. anyone else go through this? When does it stop??

NinaCanDOit
on 5/10/15 1:53 am
RNY on 06/27/14

Mine started at about 3-4 months out, was really bad for 2 months, and then stopped around the 6 month mark.  I lost what felt like tons of hair; tho in reality I was very lucky that I have a lot of hair and you couldn't tell.  Also luckily it all came back - growing straight out and in every direction, but I'll take it.

I knew going in that this would happen so to prepare myself I cut my hair really short (michelle williams longish pixie short) bc I thought it would be easier to deal with, both in the visual sense of not having to deal with shedding long hairs everywhere and also because I thought it might not show as much.  That really helped me, kept me from freaking out, and gave me a totally new style to rock on my weight loss journey. 

Keep your protein levels up and good luck!

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Linda L.
on 5/10/15 3:14 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Thank you for your response!  I too have thick hair and I'm likely the only one who will notice. In talking w others I'm reassured it will grow back. My hairdresser has the green light to take it short. I guess I'm surprised because I didn't expect it to bother me so much. 

TexasLady52
on 5/11/15 9:35 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I am very fortunate mine did not fall out ... in fact it has done opposite.  When I had emergency surgery in 1993 ...nearly all of my hair fell out.  Dr. said it was from the shock my body went through. It grew back thin and no body....it was horrible.   I was prepared for it again.  I kept up all of vitamins and protein.  I did not lose any hair infact it is opposite.....my hair is back thick like it was when I was young and it is curly.  I have never had curly hair in my life.....even my operator asked me what was going on with my hair.

Linda L.
on 5/11/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 02/17/15

Thank you so much for your response. You are the second person I have heard of whose hair grew back curly. It has slowed down thankfully!  I'm on target w my vitamins and protein intake. 

healthy-rickfan1971
on 5/17/15 8:27 pm

TexasLady52, What you said about your lifelong straight hair coming back in curly reminded me of my Mom. When she has her chemo after mastectomy her hair ALL fell out (as usually happens with chemo) but her lifelong straight hair came back in curly. Surprised the crap out of all of us. She mentioned it to her surgeon during a check up and they said they have heard that often from their patients. The shock to the body from everything had made it come back curly. He said that curly hair happens to many that have lost great amounts of hair from surgical shock.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/15 8:25 am - OH

Mine starting falling out in month 4 (I was starting think that just maybe I would be one of the lucky ones who had no or little hair loss...) and continued into month 9.  

I lost half my hair, and I have very fine hair, and not a particularly large amount of it.  

Just remember, it will grow back...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Linda L.
on 5/25/15 8:43 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Thank you for sharing and for your response! 

Somedude
on 6/14/15 5:10 am
VSG on 10/31/13

I thankfully didn't have any hair loss but I was nigh fanatical about consuming enough protein every day. As far as I am aware that is the usual cause of hair loss post op, not enough protein.

Linda L.
on 6/14/15 6:30 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Dude,

Thanks for your response.  I too was and continue to be a fanatic about getting my daily protein in but alas still have hair loss.  It's a good thing that I have or had enough hair for 3 people because Im the only one whose noticed....well and my pets....lol

Most Active