My BMI is 113.5

Lizlovesjim
on 6/23/15 5:46 am

Hello. I'm new to all of this. This is my first tie posting. I'm looking to get help and advice. I have just started the gastric Alec's surgery plan with the Cleveland clinic. I have never dieted before and have no idea how to exercise at my size. I weigh 623. Does anyone have any advice or is anyone around my size ? 

bulldog76ss
on 6/23/15 9:29 am - OH

When I started out my BMI was 84.  Not as big as you but I am sure I had the same issues.....I was dying.  The nutritionist my doctor had was remarkable.  I thought I know what was good and what was not.  I began there.  I also could only walk 50 feet or so with out feeling I was going to pass out.  So I would walk 30 feet and do it 3 to four times per day trying to increase it each day.  Set in my comfy chair and used 8 pound hand weights doing curls, anything to move more each day.  Slowly, painfully I began to improve in both strength and weight loss.  Don't get me wrong, I had some set backs but my family supported me and my grand kids were worth living for.  From June 2013 to Qct 2013 I lost 50 pounds on my own.  I had the RNY on Oct 11th 2013.  I fell the first week after surgery and the paramedics had to lift me off the ground cause I couldn't get up.  Through all of this I improved.  I am now the weight I was when I was 18 years old (1974), riding a bike again and playing baseball with my grand kids.  It seems like it would take forever but in 1 and a half years I am a new man.....all drugs are gone especially diabetes.  I hope the best for you along this journey and stay strong!

Lizlovesjim
on 6/23/15 10:47 am

Thank you so much. Your story gives me hope. I do feel like I'm dying. I'm so close. You see the people on my 600lb life that dye and I don't want to be like that. I can't even believe I've sunk this far. Baby steps. I hope you continue to do well :) 

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/15 11:55 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Congratulations on starting this journey! The Cleveland Clinic has a great, comprehensive plan that should be able to set you up with a dietitian and a physical therapist who can show you what exercises you can do. I'm from Cleveland originally, and one of my friends from high school had VSG there last summer and has done great.

Even moving your own body weight is great exercise, but losing weight, especially at first, is far more about diet than exercise. Wishing you the best!

Lizlovesjim
on 6/23/15 5:31 pm

Thank you so much :)

mute
on 6/23/15 1:14 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

There are people on here that have gone to Cleveland clinic for their surgery and I know they were successful and I feel that if you follow the plan they give you that you can be too. In my support group last week there was a woman who had been heavier than you are now and she had just had surgery 2 weeks before I saw her. By following her diet and exercise plan plus surgery she had already lost 100 pounds. It takes work but I believe the surgery gives us the tools we need to do this. Good luck!!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Lizlovesjim
on 6/23/15 5:32 pm

Oh wow, I can't imagine being heavier than I am now. Thank you :) 

selhard
on 6/24/15 9:16 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Hello and Welcome to a great site for education, motivation, and help.  When I started, my BMI was in the 60's.  I followed the bariatric program of high protein, low carb  six months in advance.  I moved around the house a lot until a small, remote lake was warm enough to swim.  Very early in the morning before anyone appeared on the public beach, I swam hard for an hour each day.  The cool water kept my body cool the entire rest of the day which made for higher activity returning home.  I was able to lose almost 100# before WLS and another 130# after WLS.  I continue to plug away even though my weight loss halted at 18 months out.  If you spend time reading posts on this site, you will acquire a wealth of information and advice to follow.   

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/26/15 8:25 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. It was the best decision of my life -- I'm on the metabolic eating plan (in a nutshell, very low carb) -- and my doctor was Matthew Kroh. Please let me know if there's any questions I can help you with. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

indybuttercup
on 6/28/15 6:51 am - Indianapolis, IN

Mine was 74.3, 550 sw. Now 33.2 and 245. Rny saved my life. Eat high protien and cook.  I swam at y with the little old (er) ladies. I told everyone. They were so suppotive.  I cauldron walk a circle in my front two rooms twice every hour at first. I did it and the weight fell off. I followed the plan 99% for the first year and a half. Still do about 80% now. I found it easy to loose and maintain with my tool. Good luck

Most Active