Introducing my self

obioxiupa
on 2/16/16 12:34 pm

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to have VSG April or May of this year.  I've been reading this forum but not posting much, but I'd like to get to know all of you as I move through this process.

I'm live in California, work full time, and have two kids (10 & 12), I'm married and my husband has his own business, my kids are really active and we are a busy family.  I'm looking forward to being healthier for my family and setting a good example for them, and hope my family receives the benefits of more healthful eating along with a healthier mom.

My dad passed away when he was 50 from a stroke, he had heart disease and was overweight.  I want to get healthy and be around for a long time, which is my motivation.  I also used to love travelling and seeing new things, but as I've gotten heavier air travel has gotten uncomfortable and I feel like my world has closed in quite a bit, I want to get back to being able to do things I want, I want to travel with my family before my kids are grown up.

I'm 41 years old, and am looking forward to all the fun things I will be able to do as I get healthier.  I used to be a competitive swimmer, and I really want to get back to feeling like an athlete and exercising regularly.  I was heavy when I was a little kid (9-14), but then got thinner because of my exercise schedule.  After college, I couldn't exercise as much and started a sedentary job and also had thyroid issues, and my weight got out of control, and I've been heavy for my whole adult life.

I"m nervous about getting through the process, making all the changes I need to make, and being successful.  I'm nervous about making the time I need to take care of myself, prepare healthy food, and exercise, plus keeping up with everything else.  I'm open to making changes to make all of this work, I'm just nervous because I don't know how its all going to happen, but my strategy is to take it one day at a time making good choices and making positive manageable changes, I'm focusing in pre-op on making positive changes in our family routine that will help after surgery.

I'm a perfectionist and I want to remember to be kind to myself through this process, and figure out how to be good enough to make this work without being overwrought about all of the details.

One thing I'm really proud about from the pre- op phase, is that I gave up diet soda 79 days ago.  I drank a lot of diet soda, and have done so since I was in high school.  I have type 2 diabetes, and I think that my diet soda consumption played a big role in that - both because of the role of artificial sweeteners in developing insulin resistance, but also because diet soda drinking with snacking of junk became a habit.  It wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm surprised that I did it (in my mind it was a harmless treat - but I was wrong) and have stuck with it, and I'm proud that I have.  I never thought I'd stop, and I've never stopped drinking diet soda when trying to loose weight before. 

I've also been experimenting with cooking with the instant pot, which seems like a great way to make high protein meals for the family with minimal effort.  This weekend we did beef stew, and lemon tyme chicken.  And the kids helped prepare the veggies for the stew, which was fun.

So that is a little bit about me!  I'm super anxious for this time to be done so I can be on the other side of surgery, just a while longer now.  I look forward to hearing about how things are going for each of you.

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

cupofjavaVSG
on 2/16/16 12:50 pm

Welcome! I should be having the VSG in March/April. I am waiting for insurance approval and will hear back by Friday. I think you will do great, you gave up soda which is a hard task. I quit smoking 18 days ago. I keep telling myself if I can give up the smoking I can commit to the new healthy eating lifestyle.

obioxiupa
on 2/16/16 1:31 pm

Giving up smoking is amazingly hard, keep up the great work.  I'd love to hear how your journey progresses.

acbbrown
on 2/16/16 7:26 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Welcome. I'm almost 5 years out and it's been one hell of a wild ride. No regrets though. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

obioxiupa
on 2/16/16 7:53 pm

I think that sounds better than the alternative :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/19/16 3:25 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Hello Neighbor!    Another Californian here.

It is challenging in the beginning to adjust to your new normal.  The good news is that it becomes second nature over time.  For example, not drinking with meals.  I don't think twice about it any more.  

The biggest change I thought I would encounter prior to surgery was giving up junk/fast food.  I thought I would miss it.  Nope.  And when I've tried it, it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.  I actually prefer to eat my own cooking which is completely amazing since I'm not a great cook.  I make many things in my crockpot, portion it out and freeze it.  I always have some type of meal available so that I don't have an excuse.

Having WLS is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I feel so much better and am more active.  I no longer fear booths and chairs in restaurants.  I like that my husband can wrap his arms completely around me.  

Good for you for taking this path.  Although WLS is just a tool, it's a powerful one if you use it properly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

obioxiupa
on 2/20/16 7:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words, and encouragement.  I hope I can learn more from you as I go through this process.  What are some of your favorite crock pot items?

Have a great rest of your weekend!

NYMom222
on 2/20/16 7:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is an interesting journey, but also no regrets. Many emotional highs and lows and lots of soul searching. I truly believe the soul searching is part of the journey. You have to follow the rules, yes...but figure yourself out concerning food and what makes you tick in the process...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

obioxiupa
on 2/20/16 7:38 pm

Thanks for the insights - I'm sure it's going to be a learning process - I wish I already knew where my issues and stumbling blocks will be, but I guess I will learn soon.  I just hope I can handle it.

selhard
on 2/23/16 5:45 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Welcome, you sound like a wonderful person, good mom, and someone who will succeed with WLS. I am curious why you are having the sleeve because many surgeons will encourage RNY or DS for patients with diabetes?  I thought missing pop would be #1 and it turns out to be a non-issue. Another surprise is how my family's health has changed for the better along with mine; it's like a chain reaction. Being a wife and mother makes this suggestion a tough one, but making yourself a priority is important.  It will feel like selfishness and easy to let slide back to putting yourself last. A strict routine is another suggestion; you should handle this one better because routine is a perfectionist kind of thing, anyway.  The love for swimming, a supportive family, and the memory of your dad are all great motivators.   

Most Active