New Here

Jenb1202
on 4/9/16 5:23 pm

I wrote a bunch about myself in the "About Me" section of my profile.  I jumped through my final hoop yesterday with my endoscopy and have VSG scheduled for 4/26/16.  My highest weight was 326; my weight at my first bariatric appointment was 307; my weight this past weekend was 284.  I'm drinking at least one protein shake most days and have returned to riding my exercise bike (recumbent).  I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, severe GERD, hypertension, high cholesterol, as well as a number of co-morbid conditions.

Being 44 and on disability for depression, I'm scared that my metabolism has been slowed down so much by my age and medications that I will lose far less weight than I could otherwise.  How about other 40-somethings?  Has age played a role in your weight loss?  Are there any other women in this age group who have been taking meds and continued on them during their weight-loss process?  It feels like the (IM)perfect storm.

I'm both excited and terrified about the journey I'm embarking on.  I start my all-liquid diet on Tuesday and am trying to fit in some of my favorite foods before then.  Did anyone else go on this "binge" (for lack of a better word) to fit in the foods they may not eat again?

I was introduced to this site Thursday when I had my endoscopy and one of my nurses had WLS, losing 170 lbs with her highest weight being in the mid 300s.  I'm hoping to find some support here and hopefully offer some, too!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/10/16 7:23 am, edited 4/10/16 1:05 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my surgery at 42 (14 days shy of 43) and it in no way kept me from meeting my goals.

I would highly recommend with your history of depression and your food issues that you establish a relationship with an eating disorder counselor now.  That relationship in place will be a great tool for you after surgery when your coping device of eating is removed.  You will read over and over that WLS is only a tool and it does not fix our heads.  There are no truer words.  

I attribute doing this and working on my relationship with food has been fundamental in not only losing weight but also maintaining thus far.  It's a daily struggle that does not get easier the further out that you get.  

Your metabolism isn't slow -- you've already lost quite a bit of weight -- and you will do wonderfully with the right mindset.  

BTW, "food funerals" are very common -- I think a lot of us have done this.  

Good luck!

Edited to add:  I noticed that you say that you have "severe GERD" --- and I am wondering why you are having the VSG in this situation.  GERD is usually a contraindication for the VSG?  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jenb1202
on 4/10/16 3:43 pm

I'm so glad to hear that your age hasn't been prohibitive!  I started seeing a therapist about my food issues, since I know I have to deal with them if surgery is going to do any good to be part of my weight-loss arsenal.

I'm so glad to hear that "food funerals" (I LOVE the term, btw) aren't something I'm doing to sabotage my journey.

As for the GERD, the doc doesn't see it as a problem and believes it may even improve.  I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks!

acbbrown
on 4/10/16 9:02 am - Granada Hills, CA

Welcome!! I'm on tons of meds and haven't had problems losing weight. I lost a total of 230 lbs but regained 90 and now have relost 50 of those. I am on quite a few psych meds, meds for acid reflux, inflammatory disease (basically arthritis all over my body)(but I'm only 32 booooo) etc. 

i just want to share a part of my journey that changed my life and I highly recommend. I joined OA over a year ago, and it has been the only thing that through actively participating, relived my depression and anxiety. I don't really know how or why but it works. I was heading toward a place of gaining all of my weight back, but not only was I able to stop gaining, I've lost a lot of weight with this program. My psych kept adding and increasing my psych meds but it never worked - the fact that I have very little lingering traces of depression is  freaking miracle. If you are interested, I'd be happy to chat with you (or anyone really) - I've written quite a bit about it in my blog as well (in my signature). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jenb1202
on 4/10/16 3:47 pm

230 lbs - WOW!  Congratulations on that kind of loss.  What type of surgery did you have?  I did OA for several months and found it more frustrating than helpful, but I know everyone is different.  My psychologist has said that losing weight will help decrease some of the pain issues I have, which will, in turn, help the depression.  I'll also be able to get out more, improving my social support.  I'm SO happy that you don't show any symptoms of depression - now THAT alone is a reason to do the surgery.  Yeah, we should chat!

acbbrown
on 4/10/16 3:57 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I had the VSG. Shoot me a PM!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

NYMom222
on 4/10/16 5:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am always so impressed when I see you write that you have lost 50lbs of a 90lb regain. That is quite an accomplishment... Losing weight is never easy, and I know even harder the second time around.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ChristyO
on 4/10/16 9:14 am
RNY on 02/01/16
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/16 12:38 pm, edited 4/10/16 11:45 am

ChristyO
on 4/10/16 9:14 am RNY on 02/01/16 with Stanley Hoehn

My opinion:  You need to have the RNY, because of your weight, and the Severe GERD, RNY cures that and hypertension, and many other medical issues. The sleeve will make your GERD worse.  It's your decision but you'll get more weight off with RNY.  With Sleeve some loose very little.    You can still change. Best of luck to you ........ 

RNY cures nothing.  It can allow a person go into remission.  Maybe... That's all.  Stop spreading fairy tales lies... 

The Sleeve MAY make it GERD worse, or better... I developed GERD after RNY.  I did not have it before.  

Some people lose a lot of weight with sleeve. More than some others with RNY. It depends on a person, their dedication and their bodies. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/10/16 5:31 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Totally agree! There has been quite a few people who have been SMO & beyond & have lost quite a bit of weight with the sleeve alone. I for one, Mo, Nic & acbrown also lost alot with vsg., & continue to lose!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active