Need help!

croseknell83
on 2/16/17 11:09 am

Hello everyone!  I am new as of today.  

So, I have been wandering around the site and have seen some amazing things.  At the same time, I have started to feel depression come on.  I have a BMI of 57.8.  I just discovered this after going to the doctor's on the 14th.  Great way to celebrate Valentine's Day, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some help.  I currently am uninsured.  I have been for several months now.  I lost insurance when I changed jobs.  I didn't have any bariatric coverage with my last plan anyway.  I have tried all avenues I could, not including surgery.  And I know that the surgery is my last hope.  I cannot stand they way that my body have changed, and I want to get down to a healthy weight.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that I can get the help I need even though I don't have insurance?

I am desperate now.  My health is declining and I need a positive change in my life.

Thank you!

Laura in Texas
on 2/17/17 4:52 am

Have you looked for a different job that has insurance that covers bariatric surgery? Or you could self-pay. If you do not have the money to do that, you could get a loan if your credit is good. Surgery in Mexico is less expensive. WLSFA offers grants, but I am not sure how easy they are to get or how much they offer. You could go to their website and apply.

Make a plan and do what it takes to get surgery. My highest BMI was 53. I maintain at a BMI of 22. Weight loss surgery gave me my life back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Insert Fitness
on 2/17/17 10:13 am

Welcome to the boards!

i don't have any practical advice regarding kinsurance, since I live in Canada. 

Just want to send positive vibes that you find a solution. 

In time, keep reading and learning! Any positive changes you make now will improve your health, regardless of surgery. 

Google behaviour change. Start journaling your food on my fitness pal. Start or build on whatever level of activity you are at.

once you know what you are eating, you can start to work on eliminating or reducing certain foods, changing some behaviours. These are all things that should be addressed before surgery, so why not get started now, and use this time for something positive!

take care and keep posting!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/17/17 2:56 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hi there -- 

I started with a BMI of 58 and now maintain a BMI of 21 to 22.

I don't know what state you are in -- here in Ohio, Medicaid currently covers WLS at Centers of Excellence.  I would apply for medicaid immediately and see if it is covered in your state -- and begin the process, post haste.

Good luck to you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

KittyKarin
on 2/20/17 9:16 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have insurance any longer and hope that you will find a way to get it back.  Are you eligible for Medicaid or have you looked on the healthcare exchange website to see how much you would be paying a month to get insurance through the Exchange?  If you can't get a full time job with insurance, maybe try researching companies that offer benefits to part-time employees... I think Starbucks does.  Just a few suggestions.  

Also, I was a BMI of 55 when I started and I completely understand the depression.  I have been overweight my entire life.  I have tried every diet twice and could lose weight but gain it back quickly.  Surgery was a huge life change that I needed to occur to get me on the right track.  I've put in plenty of work on my end but the surgery has been an invaluable tool.  

I agree that you just need to research, find out what you can do and make a plan to start working toward the goal of surgery.  Even though I had insurance, it took me 2 years until I had my surgery from the first time I went to a meeting to learn about it.  It's a lengthy process for most (mine was especially lengthy because of a move to a different state and my own issues) so even if it takes you years to get the surgery, set your goal and start working towards it. Good luck, hun! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Mirandia
on 5/6/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

My advice is to go to a local weight loss clinic/surgeon and find out what insurance they recommend and get that insurance, even if it costs more than what you have now (still cheaper than self paying for the surgery 100%). You will have to wait until November and you will have to carry that insurance for however many months it takes to be in a structured plan (6 months seems to be the average)

Most Active