Weight loss surgery

dorothy1110
on 9/1/17 3:57 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

My surgery is Wednesday September 6th. My Dr. wanted me to loose 35 pounds before surgery. I basically did a semi liquid diet. I would drink 2 or 3 Premier Protein shakes a day. My snacks were 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of sugar free jello, 1/2 cup of Unsweet apple sauce, sugar free popsicles, and low fat yogurt. My dinner was a healthy serving of protein and veggies. I will say it was not always easy, but you can do it if I did. I think I would have lost if I could have walked more. I have pinched nerves in my back that gives me trouble with walking. Hope the weight loss surgery will help with my back after the weight loss. Good Luck do not give up you can do this.

Ladyblu
on 9/15/17 12:28 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I started with a BMI of over 90. I was going for gall bladder removal surgery and the night before I was scheduled, I discovered that my health plan (for some unknown mystical, magical reason) began covering WLS. I didn't question it. I called the surgeon (who happens to specialize in bariatric surgery) and we did the happy dance together. This was July 13, 2017. I immediately started the prep work and managed to get through all the tests by Aug 13, 2017. I was approved for surgery on 9/12 by my insurance company.

My final appt is with the surgeon on 9/19 and surgery is tentatively scheduled for 9/22.

Now, I have always been the person who hated and refused to do artificial sweeteners and "diet" food. (No mystery as to how I got to over 500+ pounds, eh?) But, when the surgery became a possibility, I found something deep down inside that allowed me to begin the phase II diet immediately. I have lost over 62 pounds in 2 months. I average 600-800 calories a day with less than 45 carbs. Chicken, lean fish, and turkey and vegetables ONLY (with protein shakes). No grains, no fruit, no dairy, no shellfish, no beef/pork/lamb, no starchy vegs (including peas) and no added fats. Of course, it helped when my surgeon told me that if I went into surgery with a fatty liver that it could crack in half when she lifted it. Scared the bejesus out of me!

But, please do not think that this has been a cakewalk. Some days I could have killed for a pork chop. The protein shakes were unbearable (sicky sweet and literally made me nauseous!****il I discovered UNFLAVORED Isopure and combined it with no calorie drink enhancers (like the ones you get at Walmart - only 10 calories) or tomato juice or chicken broth. It made the drinks tolerable.

The worst part was/is the "head hunger". But I want this... I want this surgery soooo bad. IMHO you have to want this just like wanting to quit smoking. (I did that 15 years ago****il I really wanted to quit, there was no way I was going to be successful. At least that is the way it works for me.

Thank goodness for cloud bread, turkey sausage and eggbeaters. Cod and nutritional yeast. Carbquik. Perky jerky. And Skinny Pasta/Rice, etc. And spices. Spice it up, roasted vegetables with olive oil spray and garlic.

I'm already getting saggy. But I'm ok with it. I will take every wrinkle, every sag and be joyful that I will someday walk under my own power again (I'm currently in a motorized chair). I want to ride a horse again and only take up one seat on an airplane. Fitting through standard doorways would also be a blessing. Not having to use an "extension" tool in the bathroom is another goal I look forward to. This is what I think about when the urge to eat that pork chop hits.

In summary, think about the things you can't do and imagine yourself being able to do them again. What do you want more? The pork chop or the things on your list...?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

trevor
on 8/9/18 3:41 am - WEMBLEY, United Kingdom

Just keep focused on your goal Marion and try not to let anything hold you back.

If you want something enough You'll find a way to get it.

I've been where you started in terms of excess weight, heavy smoking.

I beat the latter but I'm still working on the former.

My ideal weight is 190 pounds and

I'm currently 240 and I'm 5ft 5 or 3 I'm not too sure?

I am sure about wanting to lose weight though but unfortunately saying it isn't as easy as making it happen.

I managed to get down to 190 but I gained it again over the past 6 years.

trevor
on 8/9/18 3:42 am - WEMBLEY, United Kingdom

Just keep focused on your goal Marion and try not to let anything hold you back.

If you want something enough You'll find a way to get it.

I've been where you started in terms of excess weight, heavy smoking.

I beat the latter but I'm still working on the former.

My ideal weight is 190 pounds and

I'm currently 240 and I'm 5ft 5 or 3 I'm not too sure?

I am sure about wanting to lose weight though but unfortunately saying it isn't as easy as making it happen.

I managed to get down to 190 but I gained it again over the past 6 years.

NatchezQueenbee71
on 8/11/18 11:12 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Ty Trevor??????????. I really appreciate the kind words.

Most Active