really upset

shell44127
on 7/27/05 11:39 pm - Albertville, AL
I went to the doc and I have lost 12.5 lbs in 11 days yah me but I am to walk for 30 mins a day I tryed that last night and I could only do 6mins and 11 sec and and man I felt like I had walked a mile at over 400 lb I know that is good but Iwant more faster then I can have it so that sucked and I cryed couse I just could not do any more just a little vent shelley 465/453
Stacey G.
on 7/28/05 12:19 am - MN
Shelley, Don't try to do the 30 minutes all at once. Walk for 6 minutes three times a day. That will be 18 minutes and then as you lose and get in shape the time will increase at each try and soon you will be walking 30 minutes+ at one crack! ;0)
theresa R.
on 7/28/05 12:21 am - Van Wert, OH
Would it be possible to go to your local YMCA or a family or friends pool and walk. We have an above ground pool, and I walk the outer perimeter in it daily. It is so much easier that traditional walking, but is still great exercise. The Y even offers Financial aid, if finances are a concern, and they have a variety of aqua classes for different age and skill levels.
shell44127
on 7/28/05 2:34 am - Albertville, AL
still to ealry out to get in the water still have open places
Stacey G.
on 7/28/05 12:33 am - MN
Also, I think you really need to give yourself a break. You have to remember, you just had major surgery only 2 weeks ago.
Jodie-Beth B.
on 7/28/05 2:02 am - Columbus, OH
Hi, Shelley! Walking and exercising in water is the prefered method of exercise for people our size! You actually burn more calories because you are moving against the water, but it does not put the pressure on your joints because the water helps support your weight! My doctor told me not to exercise except in water. Of course, I also have a spinal injury. hope this helps!
G. Carter
on 7/28/05 2:14 am - Columbus, OH
Hi Shelley, I currently use a walker and have a difficult time walking long distances My standing endurance is not that great either but I'm working on it. I had to have physical therapy after surgery and would become so discouraged and cry when I could not perform certain task put before me. During these sessions my therapist would tell me to take my time and as I continue ... I would get better. He would encourage me to stop when I began to feel pain and not push myself to prevent injuries and set backs. He encouraged me to keep a daily journal of my physical activity so that I could actually see my progress. Once I started doing this I was able to set short term goals which resulted in progress. Currently I use a video call Sit Tight by Richard Simmons which is a 25 minute sit down cardio workout ... and it's not joke. It is working for me until I am able to walk long distances comfortably. I know how you feel when you want to do something and can't, but think about where you were prior to surgery compared to where you are now. You are 12.5 lbs. lighter and you walked for 6 minutes. This is wonderful progress and I congratulate you. You will be able to do that 30 minute walk soon ... just wait and see. I wish you continued success in your journey. Georgeann
shell44127
on 7/28/05 2:37 am - Albertville, AL
thank you I needed to know I was not a complerte flop lol
Lvoshell
on 7/28/05 6:31 am - North Bend, OR
You keep trying...everyday add a mionute or two.... it will get easier and before you know it, you'll be walking for hours...maybe even a marathon.... When I first got home, I could not walk the driveway!!! But now, almost a year later.... I walked 12 miles a couple of weeks ago in a Relay For Life thingy.... It was great!!! I cried out of sheer joy that my body functions so well!!! Don't give up Shelley...one day you will look back and realize such a huge accomplishment,,, then you'll cry for joy....!!! Good Luck!!!! Laurie - minus 146 lbs!! 380/364/218/170
anitataylor
on 7/28/05 7:52 am - Ozark, MO
Hi Shelley I am in the same position. I am preop and have been put on a diet by my surgeon. He wants me to lose 20 lbs. He gave me a very restricted diet which I am proud to say I've stuck to for 3 days now. I've also been using a glider walker machine and I can only stand to do it for 5 minutes at a time. I just do 5 minutes 6 times a day and that works better for me physically, and I don't have to take away time from my kids for long periods of time. Anita
Most Active